subwoofer hookup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : subwoofer hookup

accastil
02-01-2006, 04:14 AM
has anybody ever tried using the main L/R pre-outs to directly connect on an active subwoofer while the L/R mains are set to large and the subwoofer is set to "off"? would this give better bass than running speaker wires to bridge the subwoofer between the speaker level output and the L/R mains?

currently, my sub is connected to the sub-pre out of the rxvr and it is set to "on".

Mr Peabody
02-01-2006, 06:38 PM
The pre out of the L/R should have the same voltage as the sub out. I don't see any difference at all except using the L/R preout would bypass all the bass management.

You could put a Y adaptor on the front L/R preout with one side to the sub and the other back into the receiver so the receiver will still drive the speakers. But there's really no point to moving from the sub out unless your receiver won't allow it to run when you want it to.

I'm assuming your sub out is a single output and your sub has a dual jack input. You should be using a Y adaptor so both inputs get a signal or your sub will only run at about half it's potential.

accastil
02-04-2006, 03:07 AM
The pre out of the L/R should have the same voltage as the sub out. I don't see any difference at all except using the L/R preout would bypass all the bass management.

You could put a Y adaptor on the front L/R preout with one side to the sub and the other back into the receiver so the receiver will still drive the speakers. But there's really no point to moving from the sub out unless your receiver won't allow it to run when you want it to.

I'm assuming your sub out is a single output and your sub has a dual jack input. You should be using a Y adaptor so both inputs get a signal or your sub will only run at about half it's potential.
yes it does have 2 rca inputs but my rxver only has 1 sub-pre-out. are you saying that i use Y-splitters on my L/R mains pre-out and feed one run to my sub while the other run is for the power amp?

Mr Peabody
02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I didn't mean to confuse you.

The typical or normal way to hook up your sub is to take a single RCA connect from your receivers sub out to a Y connector in which the twin end would connect to the sub. That way both sub ins get a signal and the sub runs at it's full potential.

I was giving you an alternative way to hook it up which would be to use 2 Y adaptors at the main preamp out. One end of both plugs into the pre out, one end of both goes to the sub and the remaining set back into the main in of the receiver.

I'm not really sure what you were trying to achieve. I hope this clears it up some.

caniac
02-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I had my sub hooked through the L/R preamps on my receiver.

You do get a bigger, fuller sound from the sub, at least for music. With HT, I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

Problem is, you lose the capability to control the sub's volume with the receiver..........and with the sub set to "off" on the receiver, you can't crossover lower frequencies that your smaller speakers may not be able to handle.

LMB
02-05-2006, 07:34 PM
If you want more base you should set your speakers to small in the receiver
What are you trying to achieve?

Mr Peabody
02-06-2006, 06:11 PM
You are correct. All of the control your receiver has over the sub through the sub out is commonly referred to as "bass management". You may have to play with the settings inside your receivers menu to get it to play the sub with music. If it does play with music but not as full you might check to see if your receiver allows for separate memory settings for music and HT.