getting frustrated with choosing speakers..help? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : getting frustrated with choosing speakers..help?

venkman
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Well I was set on getting some Klipsch but can't find any stores that have the reference series in my area. Almost every store that Klipsch says carries them has stopped carrying em. I have a pretty good receiver but I am not sure how good it really is (Onkyo TX-SR703). My goal is to get some nice speakers but not pay for one's that I can't really appreciate with my receiver. I was looking at getting some RF-7's on Ebay but was told that I might not really appreciate them with my receiver. So I've been crusing around listening to speakers and like the look and sound of the Polk RTi10. I was hoping for a little guidance on speaker choice. How much should I look to spend on a pair of speakers that I can get the full use out of my receiver but that aren't so nice that I would need to drop 1 to 2 thousand on a new receiver to appreciate.

Jim Clark
01-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Your amplification should be fine for all but the most difficult to drive speakers. None of the speakers you have listed should present much of a challenge to your Onkyo. You should spend as much as you can afford to comfortably. I wouldn't go into debt or hardship for any speaker though. Good speakers can last a lifetime so there's not much sense in cheaping out either. The rest of the post was written before I reread your original post so it doesn't really fit your question. But since it's already typed, might as well leave it. Good luck to you.

Speakers are such a personal choice that it's very difficult to make suggestions with a great deal of confidence that the opinions of one will translate to another. Based on what you've written, and depending on what you want to spend I would suggest that you look at some Von Schweikert VR-2's if they're available in your area.

Price is about 2,200 new or 1,500 used when the become available on Audiogon. As a longtime Klipsch owner myself they compare very favorably when it comes to dynamics. While not quite as easily driven as the Klispch, the VS line can deal with tubes to 400 watt SS gear and everything in between. What many disklike about the Klipsch, the horn, is replaced by a silk dome tweeter in the VR-2's for a very revealing but not so much in your face upper band. The presentation isn't as forward, more like like row five vs. the first row but I found the soundstage and imaging much more coherent and convincing than any Klipsch product I've ever heard. I believe that the bass aspect of the VS also beats the Klipsch product both in terms of depth, and quality. For you, the VR-2's may combine the best of the Polk's and Klipsch and then some. I was incredibly impressed, you may feel otherwise. A google search will reveal some impressive reviews which don't mean much on their own but may reinforce a need to audition the speakers if they are available near you.

L.J.
01-31-2006, 06:09 AM
I woudn't worry about that. Get whatever speakers that sound great to you and go from there. Jumping around from AVR to AVR isn't gonna give you much. I would definitely be worried about getting excellent speakers above all else. Stick with that 703 and drop as much money as you can on your speakers. You can always purchased a used external amp later, if you even find that you need one.

If you feel the need to purchase a new AVR, I will gladly take that 703 off your hands. ;)

venkman
01-31-2006, 02:11 PM
thanks I will try and check those out this weekend. If anyone knows of a good audio store in Southern California they can recommend spending a saturday in listening to everything I would appreciate it. I live in the South Bay (Redondo Beach, Torrance area) and have been dissapointed in all the AV stores I've gone to so far. I can proabably spend around 1500 on mains.

paul_pci
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Consult this link for So Cal dealers:

http://www.laaudiofile.com/dealers.html