Best P-mount cartridge/stylus? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best P-mount cartridge/stylus?

Coyote-X
01-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Well, I finally decided to replace the cartridge on the turntable my dad gave me. I went to Radio Shack and saw some for 15 bucks, and the guy showed me a couple others he could order, then I realized I know nothing about what brands are good or what a good one should cost, so I left rather than waste money.

My turntable is a Technics SL-Q200 (direct drive, auto-return.), and I listen to a kind of wide variety of music... classical, country, rock, just whatever. (If any of that matters.)

So I was just wondering if anybody could make some recommendations about what I should get?

dean_martin
01-31-2006, 06:16 AM
I recently installed a Grado Black on a Technics table that had been boxed and stored for several years. The Black is the cheapest cartridge in Grado's Prestige series. All of these come in p-mount and standard (1/2") mount. The Black sounds very good with rock. It has lots of bass and a big sound. I imagine you can get better detail retrieval and a more balanced sound as you move up the Prestige line. The Black is generally $40. This series goes up to the Gold which is generally $185-200 list.

Shure and Audio-Technica also make p-mounts. I put a Shure M92e on the Technics when I first got it 15 years ago. It didn't do much for me.

Here are some links to some sellers who have very descriptive web sites. I'm not necessarily suggesting you buy from them.

www.needledoctor.com
www.lpgear.com (they have the best selection of audio-technica cartridges that I'm aware of and they're quick to respond to questions)
www.audioadvisor.com
www.acousticsounds.com (these guys were running a Grado sale recently - 10% off. I basically got free shipping on the $40 Black - and on the albums I ordered, too)

Good luck and post an update.

Forgot to mention that Ortofon makes p-mounts too.

KitR
02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I recently installed a Grado Black on a Technics table that had been boxed and stored for several years. The Black is the cheapest cartridge in Grado's Prestige series. All of these come in p-mount and standard (1/2") mount. The Black sounds very good with rock. It has lots of bass and a big sound. I imagine you can get better detail retrieval and a more balanced sound as you move up the Prestige line. The Black is generally $40. This series goes up to the Gold which is generally $185-200 list.

Shure and Audio-Technica also make p-mounts. I put a Shure M92e on the Technics when I first got it 15 years ago. It didn't do much for me.

Here are some links to some sellers who have very descriptive web sites. I'm not necessarily suggesting you buy from them.

www.needledoctor.com
www.lpgear.com (they have the best selection of audio-technica cartridges that I'm aware of and they're quick to respond to questions)
www.audioadvisor.com
www.acousticsounds.com (these guys were running a Grado sale recently - 10% off. I basically got free shipping on the $40 Black - and on the albums I ordered, too)

Good luck and post an update.

Forgot to mention that Ortofon makes p-mounts too.

Spend a little extra and get a Grado Green - unless you prefer Rock. By the way you can upgrade the stylus and keep the body - or vice versa for that matter. Before I switched to my Rega Elys I was running a Grado Gold with it's own stylus for Classical and swapping to a Green one for Rock. But if you have a non-detach headshell Arm leave the Grados alone. The RB300 & Grado hated each other! Oh, and yes I do align my styli properly! Good old DB Audio!