Record from DVD to VCR? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Record from DVD to VCR?

larrye
01-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi,

If I purchase a Home Theater system (considering Yamaha 1400) and connect it to a DVD player and a VCR, can I copy DVDs to Video Tapes? Is any special device, software, or computer required?

Thanks for your help!

recoveryone
01-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi,

If I purchase a Home Theater system (considering Yamaha 1400) and connect it to a DVD player and a VCR, can I copy DVDs to Video Tapes? Is any special device, software, or computer required?

Thanks for your help!
Let me put it this way FAT CHANCE

sleeper_red
01-19-2004, 06:46 PM
yes, you can copy dvd's to videotape. you don't even need special devices to do that. just hook up your dvd player (rca's) to vcr and that's it. that's how mine is hooked up.

slbenz
01-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Just hook up your DVD player to your VCR and your VCR should record the DVD output.

Ben

uncooked
01-21-2004, 06:39 PM
there is one problem and this is why i cant do it. yes you can run the video from the dvd into the vcr " if your using regular cheap cable that vcr's accept. but most likely if you are looking at a yammy 1400 then you have s - vid or compnent to your tv. and vcr's usually dont have these inputs. thats the small part. then if you have your dvd player set to digital output run into a amp then no you cant. becuase vcrs do not have coax or fibre optic inputso there would be no audio on the recordings.

if you are just using regualar cheap cable just say what the people said in previous posts.

run the output on the dvd in to the input on the vcr and then run from the output on the vcr to your tv. or to tv and amp with the audio cable.

meme
03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
I tried hookin up my dvd(out) to my vcr(in), my vcr(out) to my tv(in) and I still could not record my dvd to vhs. The dvd is a video a friend made form me and burned to dvd (6 min.). The only thing that records is the tv program the vcr is on (channel 9). Please help. I am trying to record this dvd to tape to submit for a job application. I need a solution as soon as possible. Thanks!

woodman
03-18-2004, 11:02 AM
I tried hookin up my dvd(out) to my vcr(in), my vcr(out) to my tv(in) and I still could not record my dvd to vhs. The dvd is a video a friend made form me and burned to dvd (6 min.). The only thing that records is the tv program the vcr is on (channel 9). Please help. I am trying to record this dvd to tape to submit for a job application. I need a solution as soon as possible. Thanks!

This changes the nature of the question entirely. The first question that must be answered is: will your DVD player play the disc so that you can see it? Some players will ... some will only play commercially produced DVDs - not "home-made" DVDs.

IF your player will accept and play the disc, then you CAN record it to VHS tape. Just hookup the composite-video (and audio) from the DVD player to the appropriate input jacks on the VCR. Then, you must change the VCR's input to "Line" ... otherwise, the VCR will only record the TV channel that it's tuner is tuned in to receive (which is what you're presently have happening).

This should solve your problem

Woochifer
03-18-2004, 11:59 AM
The connection is a simple hurdle to overcome. The problem with trying to record DVDs onto videotape is that most DVDs from the major distributors are copy protected. This means that if you try patching a DVD player into a VCR, the image will get distorted. It varies from disc to disc, and the quickest way to check is to run the video output from the DVD player through the VCR and then to the TV. If the disc is copy protected, then the image will distort on that playback.

meme
03-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Thank you, Woodman & Woochifer.
I am making progress in that I changed the "Line" input on my vcr and am now recording from the dvd but the quality is very poor. I can play the dvd and view it in color, and hear it on my TV, but when I hit record on my vcr and play back the tape sometimes I loose the color or the image is jumbbly (technical term). The problem changes when I experiment with the different outs on the back of my dvd.

I don't have a "composite out" connector on the back of my dvd. I have component out (red, blue, green), video out (yellow ), digital video out (black), audio out ( white, red) and S video out. I have tried different combos of these outputs but I may not be using the right combo. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you soooooo much for your help.

woodman
03-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Thank you, Woodman & Woochifer.
I am making progress in that I changed the "Line" input on my vcr and am now recording from the dvd but the quality is very poor. I can play the dvd and view it in color, and hear it on my TV, but when I hit record on my vcr and play back the tape sometimes I loose the color or the image is jumbbly (technical term). The problem changes when I experiment with the different outs on the back of my dvd.

I don't have a "composite out" connector on the back of my dvd. I have component out (red, blue, green), video out (yellow ), digital video out (black), audio out ( white, red) and S video out. I have tried different combos of these outputs but I may not be using the right combo. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you soooooo much for your help.

The "video out" (yellow) is the composite video that I spoke of. Further, the "digital video out (black)" that you mention is NOT video at all, but digital AUDIO (for decoding in a DAC within your receiver). You say that you've tried different ones of these video output connections? Unless you have an S-VHS vcr (which has an S-video input on it), the only video connetion that you can use into the VCR is the composite one.

I guess that I got you confused with the original poster of this thread - larry - who asked about copying DVDs onto videotape. Then you (meme) showed up and was asking about recording on the VCR of a DVD disc made by a friend. Were you now able to record THAT one without a problem? The copying of a commercially made DVD movie is another matter altogether as Wooch pointed out in his post. There were a number of VCR models made that ignored the "copy-protection" that's been included on virtually ALL pre-recorded video, whether on VHS tape or on DVDs. Most VCRs however, are susceptible to this anti-copy measure (called Macrovision) as you've already found out.

There are devices available to defeat Macrovision, but I hesitate to recommend them since they may or may not work on a given DVD. The movie studios are hell-bent on preventing us from copying one of their movies for any reason, and will be constantly looking for more secure "copy-protection" to protect their precious product from being copied by consumers.

All clear now?

meme
03-18-2004, 01:53 PM
O.K. Woodman,

I am trying to record a homemade dvd.
I connected dvd video out(yellow), audio out (white, red) to my vcr in (yellow, white, red). I can record and get sound but when I play back the vhs tape it is in black & white, I lost the color image. We are getting closer to the solution. More help please.

Slosh
03-18-2004, 02:04 PM
There are devices available to defeat Macrovision, but I hesitate to recommend them since they may or may not work on a given DVD. The movie studios are hell-bent on preventing us from copying one of their movies for any reason, and will be constantly looking for more secure "copy-protection" to protect their precious product from being copied by consumers.

FWIW, I've had a Sima SCC since early '99 and have yet to come across a DVD it couldn't "correct" to copy.

Slosh
03-18-2004, 02:09 PM
I am trying to record a homemade dvd.
I connected dvd video out(yellow), audio out (white, red) to my vcr in (yellow, white, red). I can record and get sound but when I play back the vhs tape it is in black & white, I lost the color image. We are getting closer to the solution. More help please.

A guess: You're connecting the "Y" channel of the component video output instead of the composite video out.

Another guess: You may have to turn the component video output off via a set up menu to use composite video. I know some older Pioneer and Toshiba DVD players will let you use composite/s-video or component but not all three at once (most newer DVD players will output all three at once).

meme
03-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Slosh,
I double checked, my component jacks are red, blue and green. I didn't use those out jacks. I connected yellow cable to yellow jack, which Woodman said was my composit out jack.

Next thing I went into my dvd set up menu and looked for the video out settings. Found the component settings and changed it from either YPbPr (480i) to YPbPr (480p) or vise versa (I don't remember). Now all I get is a blue screen and can't get back to my setup menu to change it back. OOOPS. All else failing, look in the manual. Nothing in there about getting the device back to default setting. Double OOOPS.

This is an AKAI Progressive Scan dvd (DVPS-760), just bought it a few months ago.

Slosh
03-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Slosh,
I double checked, my component jacks are red, blue and green. I didn't use those out jacks. I connected yellow cable to yellow jack, which Woodman said was my composit out jack.

Next thing I went into my dvd set up menu and looked for the video out settings. Found the component settings and changed it from either YPbPr (480i) to YPbPr (480p) or vise versa (I don't remember). Now all I get is a blue screen and can't get back to my setup menu to change it back. OOOPS. All else failing, look in the manual. Nothing in there about getting the device back to default setting. Double OOOPS.

This is an AKAI Progressive Scan dvd (DVPS-760), just bought it a few months ago.

Yeah, pro/scan won't work with analog. Maybe your VCR is a fault here? Bad RCA cable perhaps? Are you trying to go from one TV format to another (NTSC to PAL or SECAM, etc.)?

meme
03-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Got it all back together. I just reconnected everything in the traditional way (dvd to tv, vcr to tv), selected dvd setup (had a split screen - imagine your hands on a keyboard then crossing one over the other, thumbs on outside- at least I could see the set up menu) then set the video mode to the opposite of what I changed it to.

I am going to take the dvd to a duping place and pay to get a vhs copy.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Who said being unemployed is boring.

Slosh
03-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Got it all back together. I just reconnected everything in the traditional way (dvd to tv, vcr to tv), selected dvd setup (had a split screen - imagine your hands on a keyboard then crossing one over the other, thumbs on outside- at least I could see the set up menu) then set the video mode to the opposite of what I changed it to.

I am going to take the dvd to a duping place and pay to get a vhs copy.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Who said being unemployed is boring.

Oh well, I tried. Sorry.