Macrovision Interfering With DVD Component Connection? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Macrovision Interfering With DVD Component Connection?

Defshep
01-30-2006, 06:04 AM
So I just plunked down $70 on a new Sony dvd player (my current Sony is dying) yesterday after trying out different budget models. For some reason, the Samsung displayed a red Macrovision screen when I connected the component cables directly to my HDTV. There seemed to be the same problem with a Philips player. I tried a JVC as well. Like my Sony, It worked fine, but would not play dvd+r, which is a problem because I have a good deal of +r discs. Is the Macrovision problem in my tv, or cheaper players? There are alot of things I liked about the Samsung model. It seemed to have disc compatability and great features. Not to mention it was clearanced at Radio Shack at half the price of the Sony. I haven't opened the Sony yet. Has anyone ever experienced this Macrovision problem with component connections?

edtyct
01-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Maybe there's a mystery to be solved with the Macrovision screen. Regardless, however, the Samsungs have traditionally been heavy on features and light on reliability. Sometimes they work (leaving aside the problem of how well); sometimes they don't. I wouldn't waste my time with it. Find a behaving player that gives you what you need within your budget (or a little higher), and don't look back.