Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1 Video Conversion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony Bravia KDL-V40XBR1 Video Conversion

jdag
01-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I have the Sony Bravia 40" LCD flat panel HDTV. I understand that the TVs themselves convert incoming signals for best display (thus negating at least some of the value of an upconverting DVD player). Can someone please explain how this particulat TV converts and to what format? Would I benefit from an upconverting DVD player? Thanks, John

edtyct
01-29-2006, 08:59 PM
The only reason for upconverting DVD players to exist is to scuttle a microdisplay's own upconversion process, because, in many cases, the DVD player can do a better job of it. Whether that turns out to be true depends on the quality of the signal processing of both components. The Bravia has to convert every signal available in consumer video to the odd resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, unless an earlier unit beats it to the punch. How well the Bravia does the job is up to the naked eye or to dedicated test screens. The best external upconversion is pixel to pixel--scaling to the exact resolution of the display. Since few DVD upconverters scale to the Sony's particular pixel count, the closest alternative being 1280 x 720, they can't totally replace the display's own scaling. In a way, it's a no-win situation under those conditions. Nonetheless, you can't tell whether a particular DVD upconverter does a better job than the Bravia without doing a comparison. I think that the D Inc Bravo and Samsung players might do the proper scaling to 768, but both of them have liabilities and limitations that might preclude recommendation on other grounds. The good news is, however, that the Sony Bravia will theoretically benefit from a digital video connection, anyway--DVI or HDMI--since it will probably maintain the signal in the digital domain without D/A conversion, which can soften or otherwise compromise the image. Most mainstream players nowadays with one of these outputs can also upconvert to 720, so giving one a whirl with the Bravia would be just a button push or two away--that is, if you decide to buy an HDMI- or DVI-equipped player. If money's tight, you might not bother; the difference between a good component connection and a better digital one is rarely night and day. But most OCD-impaired video junkies will want to go digital with a display like yours.