speaker selection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker selection

y-not
01-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey boys and girls,redoing my home theater set-up,my polk srt speakers are awesome for home theater,but lack in the musical performance.Need opinions from people who actually own either Legacy Focus or Revel F30.My room is 24 by 24 with a 7.5 ceiling.I also plan on useing a Revel B-15 sub.Yeah, the F30 will match better but i think the Focus will be more dynamic in a room this big.Amp will be a sunfire 400 watt by 5 channel.Also,listening position is 15 ft from 60 in tv.So, any owners of these 2-speakers want to give me their honest opinions on this choice?Thanks for letting me ramble on,Tony

rayj1974
01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey boys and girls,redoing my home theater set-up,my polk srt speakers are awesome for home theater,but lack in the musical performance.Need opinions from people who actually own either Legacy Focus or Revel F30.My room is 24 by 24 with a 7.5 ceiling.I also plan on useing a Revel B-15 sub.Yeah, the F30 will match better but i think the Focus will be more dynamic in a room this big.Amp will be a sunfire 400 watt by 5 channel.Also,listening position is 15 ft from 60 in tv.So, any owners of these 2-speakers want to give me their honest opinions on this choice?Thanks for letting me ramble on,Tony

Hmm Imagine this...I found you on another forum......

Guess WHO!!!!

y-not
01-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Guess ???????????? Hmmm.....Lets see,this is the only forum i am a member beside audiogon.and i do listen in on polks forums but am not a member,and frankly,does any of this matter?????I too am on the up-grade path and am looking for honest opinions from members who actually own the speakers i am looking to buy,before i plunk down the dough.Is this some how strange to you?AND,what has this to do with my original question?

bfalls
01-29-2006, 09:40 PM
I have a pair of Legacy Focus, the previous not the 20/20 version. I have then mated with the Silver Screen center and T&A P-30 monopole surrounds. The Focus are very dynamic and provide excellent quality, extended bass via their 3-12" /ch woofers. They are very detailed and have a very transparent midrange. I have a "purest" version without the three contour EQ switches. With 94db efficiency and 16Hz-20+KHz freq. response I doubt you'll need a subwoofer. I have mine bi-amped, using a Denon AVR-3300 @ 105W/ch for the mid/highs and a Yamaha M-65 170W 8 ohm, 245W 4 ohm driving the woofers. I find the system excellent for movies, SACD/DVD-Audio and stereo using the receivers direct mode. If you enjoy well-defined, well-extended bass, I haven't heard better than the Focus. They're never boomy or overwhelming and never fatiguing. I haven't heard the Revels, but have read very good reviews for them.

y-not
01-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,my only concern is the subwoofer thing.On movies, i like that hit you in the chest power,like a lightning bolt.Just not sure how well this would mesh with Focus.Interesting way you have them set up,but hey,if it works,great.I again thank you for your quick responce as i will be purchasing soon.

rayj1974
01-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Guess ???????????? Hmmm.....Lets see,this is the only forum i am a member beside audiogon.and i do listen in on polks forums but am not a member,and frankly,does any of this matter?????I too am on the up-grade path and am looking for honest opinions from members who actually own the speakers i am looking to buy,before i plunk down the dough.Is this some how strange to you?AND,what has this to do with my original question?

Dang PROBRO......

I guess I almost felt the unleashed power of a Y-NOT!!!! :D

y-not
01-31-2006, 03:58 AM
I have to say,you must have me confused with some one else because i do not have a clue as to what the heck you are talking about,nor do i care.

bfalls
01-31-2006, 10:52 AM
I've had one other poster say something similar to your comment. What is so unusual about the way I have my speakers biamped? I connect my sub-out for each main channel into the sub amp's inputs. How is this more unusual than connecting a subwoofer? It provide more power and control than a single amp. I'm not into boomy, overpowering bass and find this setup very pleasing. The Yamaha had be optioned for ClassA upto 20W, but I don't hear an advantage. The Yamaha's meters can be set for 4, 8, or 16 ohm and I rarely see output higher than 30W.

y-not
02-01-2006, 01:24 PM
no disrespect ment in my comment,i personally never heard of it being done that way,which is why i said,if it works....GREAT!!!!! Audio is alot of trial and error,and alot of times we fail more than we improve things.You actually gave me a great idea for my own set-up.Thanks again and sorry if my comments sounded like i was dissing you,i surely was not.

y-not
02-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, i know.....DONT CALL ME SHIRLEY ! What movie....anyone ?

bfalls
02-01-2006, 06:05 PM
The movie was one if the Airports, probably the first one. No offense taken, I honestly wanted to know the reasoning behind the comment. How else should I bi-amp the Legacys? Using the same R/L outputs. I felt since the speaker's xover would filter out the low freq. anyway, why not use the pre-sub out? The "proof is in the pudding" and I can't complain at all about the sound. I don't feel the sound is compromised at all. I'm very interested in in your thoughts.

y-not
02-02-2006, 06:21 AM
From what i gather from others here who own the Focus is that bi-amping or bi-wire is a must do.

y-not
02-02-2006, 06:49 AM
From what i gather from others here who own the Focus is that bi-amping or bi-wire is a must do.I have always assumed the amp section in a AVR is week to mediocre at best.
Yes,the top end does not need alot of power,those 12 inchers suck it up,but always thought it was the quality of the watts,not quantity.Do a search here for others with these speakers and see what they are useing.You are the lucky one to own the legacys,i do not.so it is hard for me to comment on what is good or bad with these speakers.Just from an outsiders observation,if you had better quality amps,the sound would be better.But then again,you never said the sound was bad,rather..good.So in my twisted mind,i thought if they sound good in your set-up,imagine it with some upscale amps.You really gave it the best compliment of all by showing that you can get great results with the Focus without spending a ton of money on amps.And that was exactly what i was looking for.A speaker that improves along with the up-grades to the rest of the system.Some high-end speakers only perform good on expensive amps,and as you know,and i too,man this hobby of ours is damn expensive.Trying to sift thru the winners and the dogs is hard enough with out actually talking to the people who own what you are looking for.You have made -up my mind to purchase these,thank you.