New Porcupine Tree Fan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Porcupine Tree Fan

J*E*Cole
01-29-2006, 10:08 AM
I've recently come to admire Porcupine Tree over the last several months, and was looking at their discography online and saw an album titled "Recordings", which I guess is a compilation of some of their best B-side stuff. Anyhoo it's seems pretty hard to get ahold of, and I actually found it at a couple places, but the price was $67.00 at one place and $82.00 at the other place. Can this be right? Anyone have this one, and how is it? Would/did you but it at a similar price?

Thanks for any info...

Kaboom
01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah those prices are spot on for that album. its very rare. it was quite a limited pressing back when the Tree was even less known than it is now, and when it gained some popularity, specially since In Absentia, the prices of the collector's items (and "recordings" definately qualifies as a collector's item) have sky rocketed. If you have the cash to blow, i'd say grab it. Its kinda like a pink floyd signed LP, there aren't any more of those around as time goes by, so prices are sure to keep rising.
cheers!

Finch Platte
01-29-2006, 06:43 PM
yeah those prices are spot on for that album. its very rare. it was quite a limited pressing back when the Tree was even less known than it is now, and when it gained some popularity, specially since In Absentia, the prices of the collector's items (and "recordings" definately qualifies as a collector's item) have sky rocketed. If you have the cash to blow, i'd say grab it. Its kinda like a pink floyd signed LP, there aren't any more of those around as time goes by, so prices are sure to keep rising.
cheers!

Yeah, buy it and burn copies for the 47 PT fans on the board.

Thanks in advance.

fp

Troy
01-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Geez guys, I have this (Sn. 5052- I think they did 10k). I paid list price for it, like 16 bucks. It's pretty good, but definitely not urgent or required. For PT obscurities I like "Metanoia" or "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" more.

Buy all the studio albums from "Up the Down Stair" onward first.

PM me if you just GOTTA have it.

Dusty Chalk
01-30-2006, 09:48 AM
What Troy said. And I'm a huge Porcupine Tree fan.

3-LockBox
01-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Geez guys, I have this (Sn. 5052- I think they did 10k). I paid list price for it, like 16 bucks. It's pretty good, but definitely not urgent or required. For PT obscurities I like "Metanoia" or "Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape" more.

Buy all the studio albums from "Up the Down Stair" onward first.

PM me if you just GOTTA have it.

Do you have their newest live album?

bjornb17
01-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm a new PT fan as well!

B&W sent me a DVD last year advertising their speakers and it had a DTS track of "blackest eyes" from In Absentia. I thought the song was fantastic, well recorded, and overall very enjoyable!

So i went out about bought In Absentia and Deadwing in the last couple of weeks and they are probably the two best CDs i have in my (modest) collection. Good stuff! ;-)

Troy
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you have their newest live album?

And it's called . . . ?

Dave_G
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
PT has no new live stuff out as far as I know.

They did re-issue Coma Divine as a 2 cd set, though.

I have a dvd I pulled from a British magazine called "Classic Rock" and it has a PT track on it but I have not figured out yet how to play it. (PS2 does not decode PAL).

Oh, by the way, for you rockers here, that magazine is killer.

By the time I finish viewing the concert listings on the back 8 pages I am drooling. When you see ads for PT, IQ, Marillion, Deep Purple, Jon Anderson, Camel, Flower Kings, all playing within 2 weeks of one another, I just almost wanna cry...

Dave

3-LockBox
01-30-2006, 01:03 PM
And it's called . . . ?

Warszawa

I may have already asked you this question before...

Dave_G
01-30-2006, 01:05 PM
I have that one. It's one of those minimal packaging thingies like their XM radio ones.

PT fans will want it bigger than Dallas.

Dave

3-LockBox
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
I've recently come to admire Porcupine Tree over the last several months, and was looking at their discography online and saw an album titled "Recordings", which I guess is a compilation of some of their best B-side stuff. Anyhoo it's seems pretty hard to get ahold of, and I actually found it at a couple places, but the price was $67.00 at one place and $82.00 at the other place. Can this be right? Anyone have this one, and how is it? Would/did you but it at a similar price?

Thanks for any info...

You might as well wait...the other rare album of their's Insignificance which was a collection of demos and alternate takes from '97, was a website only release back when, but is now 'disc two' in the re-issue of Signify. They might do the same thing w/ Recordings at some point. At least, that's what I'm banking on, cuz I'm not going to pay 80 bucks on a used CD.

BTW: If you haven't checked out Signify, you might want to do so.

Troy
01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I have CDr of Warsaw and XM. Both are solid live albums recorded around "In Absentia". Tight band, but go for the studio stuff first.

Can't wait for the DVD.

Kaboom
01-30-2006, 04:04 PM
definately there with you, i think signify is AWESOME.
and even the new vinyl release comes with the Insignificance album as a bonus. Awesome stuff.

3-LockBox
01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Can't wait for the DVD.

Is that a live DVD? From when?

Dave_G
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
PT keeps threatining to release a concert dvd.

They have made us wait a long time, eh?

I bet it'll be one of the best ever.

Dave

Troy
01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Wilson mentioned they were gonna do one for release "in 2006" at the concert last year. Deadwing tour stuff, I'd imagine.

Hawkeye
01-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I have CDr of Warsaw and XM. Both are solid live albums recorded around "In Absentia". Tight band, but go for the studio stuff first.
Can't wait for the DVD.
I've got a boot of their Nearfest appearance in 2001.

Dave_G
01-31-2006, 06:09 AM
Isn't there an XM2 release also?

Dave