straight to bi-wiring, now I need the new cable...suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : straight to bi-wiring, now I need the new cable...suggestions?

c00z
01-28-2006, 08:47 PM
I have purchased a pair of Paradigm monitor 9s and have asked around for wiring questions and have decided upon the gauge but now have decided to go the bi-wiring route instead of just purchasing new speaker cables. However, I have been pointed to www.partsexpress.com for cheap speaker cable. However, I understand that for bi-wiring you can either run two seperate speaker wire strands or one that has four seperate wires in the it. At partsexpress I have only found one wire that allows for this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-485

However, does anyone suggest different speaker wire or a different online vendor to purchase a similar product from?

ironandsteel
01-29-2006, 06:09 PM
If you like, try www.usedcable.com. They might have something for you to consider.

FLZapped
01-30-2006, 04:27 AM
Well, there is this:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/IXOS614441

Or, you can go to your local home center and look at wiring available there.

-Bruce

bipper
01-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Please tell us what your budget is.

I ask because if you purchase a new "good" cable for $40-$50 your will be quite surprised how much better a $100 used cable will sound.

Example: I bought cheap cable 10 years ago for $10, 3 years later I bought Monster cable for $40, 4 years later I bought DH LABS ST-100 cable (silver/copper braided) for $60 and thought it was amazing. Excellent detail, excellen mids, lows ok.

Then I tried Kimber cable 4tc biwired ($80used) and now think that my DH LABS ST-100 is "ok" cable.

RECOMMENDED VALUE try kimber cable 4tc cable biwired=<$100 USED also do some research on Audioquest cables, specifically the "bedrock" which has seemed to gain a lot of respect.

Aside from the fact that I will constantly upgrading my cables, I realized now that it is better to audition several cables and make friends with your local stereo shop. Dont cheat yourself by buying a mediocre cable that dosent complement your speakers or your ears.

Good luck
thanks to all the audioreview members who taught me...

JohnMichael
01-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Kimber is a good cable as was suggested and also Audioquest makes good cables that are easily biwireable. www.audioadvisor.com will terminate bulk AQ cable at a savings vs the same cable as a nice factory packaged cable. Depending on your electronics some amps and int. amps have two sets of speaker binding posts not for two sets of speakers but to make biwiring easier. If this is the case for you then you could just buy another pair of the cables you are currently using. If you wanted to delay the cost of new cables an inexpensive way of improving the sound of speakers that can be biwired is to replace the brass jumper plates with jumpers made from speaker cable. www.alphacore.com sells jumpers made from their flat cables which are better sounding than the jumpers usually included. Other speaker cable manufacturers also make better jumpers.

Billiam
01-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I have purchased a pair of Paradigm monitor 9s and have asked around for wiring questions and have decided upon the gauge but now have decided to go the bi-wiring route instead of just purchasing new speaker cables. However, I have been pointed to www.partsexpress.com for cheap speaker cable. However, I understand that for bi-wiring you can either run two seperate speaker wire strands or one that has four seperate wires in the it. At partsexpress I have only found one wire that allows for this

However, does anyone suggest different speaker wire or a different online vendor to purchase a similar product from?

Many Cable companies will make jumpers at a fraction of the cost to replace the bars tying the two speaker inputs together. Just a suggestion.

musicoverall
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM

Have you listened to your new speakers with a single run? I have not heard your Paradigms but I did own a set of speakers that sounded better with a single run of good cable than a double run of the same model/brand. You might try the jumper suggestion with one run of speaker cable and then try another run later to hear if it brings about any improvements. My two cents.

FLZapped
01-31-2006, 07:13 AM

BTW - I was just reading something similar on a Pro Audio site, they suggest getting 12 or 14 AWG, 4 conductor SJOW cable from your local home center. Try and get the 300 volt cable, rather than 600.

-Bruce

c00z
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
I was trying to do two runs with this cable, each run approx. 15ft, and I wanted it bi-wired. Finally, the price I wanted to do was under 80CAD. I know that their has been alot of hype around expensive wiring and what not but I do not feel that I have the money to spend more. Finally, I wanted the wire to be in a bundle, ie 4 wires together, instead of simply running the wires twice to the speakers, I feel this will keep things neater. Anyone bi-wiring with wire they liked that is in my price range and available?

bipper
01-31-2006, 11:25 AM
If you want an immediate solution, I would go to http://www.partsconnexion.com/ who is based in ontario and search their speaker cable. Excellent service and fast delivery.

LMB
07-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Instead of biwiring try removing the bridge and get some jumper cables red to red black to black and just use one set of speaker cables Audioquest, Acoustic Zen and hear the difference better detail
Have fun

musicman1999
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I think you will get better results from a better quality single run than a double run in that price range.I second the Kimber suggestion,i have been using them for some time.What are you driving these Paradigm's with?

bill