SUB needed please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SUB needed please!

Nate1272
01-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I am finally getting past the point of planning my HT/music system, and actually buying. I have bought some Energy C-5s + CR-3 surrounds and getting a CC-3 center here soon. I haven't done much homework on a good Sub though. The room I am most likely going to have the set up in is 10 ft wide by 17 deep. My budget is definitely below $500. Most of what I have been looking at has been the 10" subs offered by Energy, SVS, and Paradigm. Though HSU has some reasonably priced models I believe.

Do you guys think a good 10" sub would be enough? I am just looking for good solid performance at a reasonable price basically... any help would be great..

paul_pci
01-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I am finally getting past the point of planning my HT/music system, and actually buying. I have bought some Energy C-5s + CR-3 surrounds and getting a CC-3 center here soon. I haven't done much homework on a good Sub though. The room I am most likely going to have the set up in is 10 ft wide by 17 deep. My budget is definitely below $500. Most of what I have been looking at has been the 10" subs offered by Energy, SVS, and Paradigm. Though HSU has some reasonably priced models I believe.

Do you guys think a good 10" sub would be enough? I am just looking for good solid performance at a reasonable price basically... any help would be great..

A quality 10" sub will be plenty good for you. I have a 8" velodyne in a 16'X12' room and I have it barely turned up. That brings me to my next point. In a small room such as yours, you'll probably benefit more from a sealed sub that will help tone down the boominess. Unfortunately, SVS and Hsu don't have sealed subs. Take a look at Velodyne and B&W to start, but I'm sure there are other models that will offer a sealed cabinet for your needs.

Nate1272
01-28-2006, 05:05 PM
thanks for the advice. I will do some research into Velodyne and B&W. I am a little worried about the acoustics of my room. It will actually be a sun room, with the back and right side walls being all windows for the most part. I can only imagine that the boominess from a sub would be a problem. But heck, this is the only room I have to choose from so I will deal with it. I can get some acoustic treatments if needed also.

Bryan
02-03-2006, 04:44 PM
One thing you may do is search for a used sub on audiogon.com or a b-stock offering from one of the afore-mentioned companies. However, one new sub that may work for you is a Rocket UFW-wo. I have it and it is wonderful. If your interest is primarily HT, go with something from SVS, especially as they go lower. (I also owned a SVS 20-39CS with the Samson amp.)