Best phono cartridge for less than 100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best phono cartridge for less than 100

Billiam
01-28-2006, 07:27 AM
It has come time to replace my current cartridge. I am looking for suggestions for a good cartridge for less than 100. Thanks in advance for your help.

JohnMichael
01-28-2006, 11:44 AM
It has come time to replace my current cartridge. I am looking for suggestions for a good cartridge for less than 100. Thanks in advance for your help.

There are several good cartridges available for less than $100. Audio Technica AT440ML, Shure M97XE, Ortofon Super OM10, Grado Prestige Green and Blue. If you could tell us the turntable you will be mounting the cartridge in we might be able to give more specific advice.

Billiam
01-28-2006, 03:13 PM
It was never sold in the US that I am aware of. I found it at a pawn shop a number of years back. I would imagine someone in the service brought it back.

Thanks

KitR
02-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Watch the A/T440, it's an old Signet cartridge and you need to align it VERY carefully or it'll "spit" at you. But once thats done you'll find it almost Moving coil'y

Billiam
02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
There are several good cartridges available for less than $100. Audio Technica AT440ML, Shure M97XE, Ortofon Super OM10, Grado Prestige Green and Blue. If you could tell us the turntable you will be mounting the cartridge in we might be able to give more specific advice.

I was able to get the Prestige Red for less than 100. Great cartridge. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help.

KitR
02-06-2006, 06:06 PM
I was able to get the Prestige Red for less than 100. Great cartridge. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help.
If you like Rock, try putting a Green stylus in the Red body and if Classical, "go for the gold"!
I found both better than the Red's own stylus. Sometimes being a cheapskate/tightwade pays off! Enjoy your music!

Billiam
02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
If you like Rock, try putting a Green stylus in the Red body and if Classical, "go for the gold"!
I found both better than the Red's own stylus. Sometimes being a cheapskate/tightwade pays off! Enjoy your music!

Just never ever crossed my mind. Thanks