Totem Rainmaker vs Mirage Omnisat v2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Totem Rainmaker vs Mirage Omnisat v2

fishnugget
01-28-2006, 04:18 AM
I have small area next to TV for fronts. Considering Totem Rainmaker or Mirage Omnisat v2. Tying in with home theatre and great musical sound. Which would be better all around for both. I realize I will need a decent sub for either. Any recommendations. Large room 14-18-20tall. I was told that I could use Mirage center and satellites. But Totem said I could not use less expensive center, satelites from Dreamcatcher system Said bad timber match. I can't afford rainmaker center $1000, and $1000 for another pair of Rainmaker fronts to use in rears. Any ideas. I believe Rainmaker better musically.

Any thoughts?

texlle
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
I would go with the Totems as I've heard the Model 1's and was very impressed. If you like the Rainmakers better, but lack the funds to buy their complete HT setup, I'd attempt to do some listening and see if there are any other cheaper options that go well with the sound of the Totems. If anything, buy your Rainmaker fronts now and save for their entire line. If you like them better anyway, you shouldn't make yourself have to settle.

That's my $.02 on the matter, anyway. ;)

eisforelectronic
01-28-2006, 11:43 PM
As I've posted before, I was strongly considering the V2's because of their slim design. I spent about an hour and a half listening to them at Best Buy.The sound was decent but I couldn't help feeling they were missing something. It's like they were hitting all the right notes, but they had no soul. Kind of like a keyboard in piano mode versus an actual piano. Now I can compare them to all kinds of things, but when it really comes down to it, the real problem was they didn't sound like my Totems. I have now deceided to go with the new Totem Tribe instead.

Totem speakers are not timbre matched between the various models. Totem buys drivers from many different manufacturers depending on what they are trying to achieve with a given model. Each crossover is then designed according to that specific drivers needs to achieve the best sound. This is from one of the totem reps at CES.

As far as being able to afford a full set of Rainmakers, take the above posters advice. Just buy the fronts first and get the rest as you are able.

Besides, Totem really had one of the best looking brochures!!