LFE Dilemma!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LFE Dilemma!!!!!

speakeroligist_38
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Hello people I have a Q: What 8" sub would any of you reccomend for mainly HT use??? I prefer to have a 10" sub myself BUT my neighbor has complained so much and called the police on me. Therefore, an 8" sub would be more ideal. My preference is more on 2-channel listening and am quite happy with the low frequency extension of my Paradigm Studio 20's v.3--the sub will be mainly for LFE when watching DVD's. Maybe it would work great if I had (2) 8" subs for better balance. Please keep in mind I prefer a more controlled punchy bass that can reproduce transients accurately. Absolutely no boomy bass for me---just not my style. Basically, I am just looking for a little kick when mainly watching movies and the occasional afternoon of music listening w/o getting the police called on me again. Please help..........

Dmax
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Hello people I have a Q: What 8" sub would any of you reccomend for mainly HT use??? I prefer to have a 10" sub myself BUT my neighbor has complained so much and called the police on me. Therefore, an 8" sub would be more ideal. My preference is more on 2-channel listening and am quite happy with the low frequency extension of my Paradigm Studio 20's v.3--the sub will be mainly for LFE when watching DVD's. Maybe it would work great if I had (2) 8" subs for better balance. Please keep in mind I prefer a more controlled punchy bass that can reproduce transients accurately. Absolutely no boomy bass for me---just not my style. Basically, I am just looking for a little kick when mainly watching movies and the occasional afternoon of music listening w/o getting the police called on me again. Please help..........That's really screwed up ( your neighbors I mean ) but do you think an 8 inch woofer sub instead of a 10 inch would prevent the cops from knocking at your door?

Wireworm5
01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
I hate to say it, but if the LFE are causing a problem then you have to learn to enjoy the music without it. When I was a youngen, my mom who is hearing impaired, the lower bass would drive her crazy. So I cut these freq. with my equilizer to keep the peace. Having my own place I have the luxury of playing music loud and with full bass.
Just the other day my renter who was sleeping two floors above my audio room. Well the bass was so heavy from the music it shook his penny jar off the dresser scaring the Jesus out of him when it crashed on the floor. Luckily for me if he doesn't like it he can move out. :)

audiomadness
01-28-2006, 07:55 AM
That's really screwed up ( your neighbors I mean ) but do you think an 8 inch woofer sub instead of a 10 inch would prevent the cops from knocking at your door?

Agree......there are some ferocious little 8 subs out there such as the Pinnacle "babyboomer" sub series. The drivers are housed in just under a 10" cube and can go up against some of the big boys.

[QUOTE=Hello people I have a Q: What 8" sub would any of you reccomend for mainly HT use??? I prefer to have a 10" sub myself BUT my neighbor has complained so much and called the police on me. Therefore, an 8" sub would be more ideal. My preference is more on 2-channel listening and am quite happy with the low frequency extension of my Paradigm Studio 20's v.3--the sub will be mainly for LFE when watching DVD's. Maybe it would work great if I had (2) 8" subs for better balance. Please keep in mind I prefer a more controlled punchy bass that can reproduce transients accurately. Absolutely no boomy bass for me---just not my style. Basically, I am just looking for a little kick when mainly watching movies and the occasional afternoon of music listening w/o getting the police called on me again. Please help..........[/QUOTE]

Personally, I don't like using a sub for critical music listening, so I don't think you are making a compromise at all, considering the caliber of your bookshelves. The Paradigm Studio 20's are quite a capable performer when standmounted and positioned correctly since they do go down to the mid 30hz region if I recall. If you listen to a lot of HipHop or heavy metal then that's a different story.

Geoffcin
01-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Hello people I have a Q: What 8" sub would any of you reccomend for mainly HT use??? I prefer to have a 10" sub myself BUT my neighbor has complained so much and called the police on me. Therefore, an 8" sub would be more ideal. My preference is more on 2-channel listening and am quite happy with the low frequency extension of my Paradigm Studio 20's v.3--the sub will be mainly for LFE when watching DVD's. Maybe it would work great if I had (2) 8" subs for better balance. Please keep in mind I prefer a more controlled punchy bass that can reproduce transients accurately. Absolutely no boomy bass for me---just not my style. Basically, I am just looking for a little kick when mainly watching movies and the occasional afternoon of music listening w/o getting the police called on me again. Please help..........

http://www.aurasound.com/

Much better than a night in the pokey.

audiomadness
01-28-2006, 08:42 AM
http://www.aurasound.com/

Much better than a night in the pokey.

Cool!!!!!

speakeroligist_38
01-31-2006, 05:17 AM
Well DMAX an 8" sub is not gonna be as loud as a 10" sub and hopefully by all accounts keep the cops away. Basically, just want some bottom end for home theater effect and it would be nice if on the rare occasion I was able to use it for 2 channel listening or 2.1.

shokhead
01-31-2006, 07:09 AM
If your in an apartment then i just wouldnt use a sub,the bass waves will go right through the walls. If your in a house,tell the neighbor to deal with it as long as its not early or late.

Florian
01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
I would get some fullrange speakers, e-stats, ribbon, or planar magnetic which have extremely high low level resolution. So you miss none of the bass no matter how low the volume. If that is not an option then i would suggest basstraps, and modifying your audio room with acoustic material using a computer simulation.

-Flo

Eric Z
01-31-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't think moving from a 10" to an 8" will help you at all- LFE is LFE and the waves travel quite strongly! I upgraded to a 10" sub a little while back and I mess around with comparing it to my 8"one- the 10" fills the room more, but the 8" still produces a lot of LFE!

Instead of dropping money on a new sub, just turn down your current one (that's similar to getting a smaller sub).

That's what stinks about living somewhere with shared walls/ceilings! It's just unfortunate your neighbor doesn't enjoy loud low noises against his walls :)

markw
01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
Instead of dropping money on a new sub, just turn down your current one (that's similar to getting a smaller sub.Sometimes, the most obvious solution is the one least thought about.

bfalls
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Get an 8" sub if you like the sound of it, but don't think of it as being less loud than a 10"sub. A 10" sub may have a more powerful amp (more watts), but it needs it for driving the lower frequencies moreso than being louder (lower freq = more excursion = more power). I have a Klipsch SW8 I use in conjunction with an ACI Saturn 12"x2 compound sub woofer. The SW8 provides great upper bass where the Saturn goes much deeper. Depending on your taste an 8" sub may be all you need in providing the extra umph you're missing. The Paradigm mentioned earlier is also a good great value for the additional umph. You need to think in terms of freq. response instead of loudness. Mid/high freq can be just as annoying as low if driven loud enough. Since low frequencies are non-directional they may tend to invade the neighbors "space" moreso than higher frequencies. Common sense goes a long way here.

Florian
02-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Woofer size has nothing to do with the amp in the back of it. I know a few subwoofers that are 8" that can push a 12" around, no problem. Its all about the execution and the "box" plays a vital role on the typical subwoofers. Just turn down the volume, buy a speaker with enough box-less low level resolution or damped your room.

:-)

shokhead
02-01-2006, 06:42 AM
That depends which 8 and which 12you are comparing. Same quality,a 12 beats a 8 every time. Size does matter sometimes.

speakeroligist_38
02-01-2006, 06:54 AM
shokhead wish I could ask them to deal with it. However, they are not going to do that. The sad part is I live in a mobile home and my neighbors home is very close to mine. I am just looking for a little thump on the low end mainly for home theater use. If push comes to shove I can live with the low extension of my Studio 20's v.3. when listening to music but with ht use it is another story.

speakeroligist_38
02-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Florian I agree but why have a nice sub if you can't really enjoy it. That is like having a very cold 12-pack of beer right in front of you on a very hot day and knowing you can't have any. What's the use???? It is also very difficult to dampen a mobile home so I dont have many options. The sub I did own was a Paradigm PS1000 v.4 10" sub and it was too much for my neighbors. Funny thing is I never really turned it up that loud yet my neighbor claims I made her pictures fall off her walls. Therefore, I need something smaller and less powerful but still sounds and preforms decently w/o spending a lot of money. Have any suggestions?????

shokhead
02-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Forget the sub. I lived in a mobil home and its worst then a apt. Just use your speakers and make sure the first time you here your neighbor snores and you hear it and i know you can,LET THEM KNOW as it goes both ways.

Florian
02-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Florian I agree but why have a nice sub if you can't really enjoy it. That is like having a very cold 12-pack of beer right in front of you on a very hot day and knowing you can't have any. What's the use???? It is also very difficult to dampen a mobile home so I dont have many options. The sub I did own was a Paradigm PS1000 v.4 10" sub and it was too much for my neighbors. Funny thing is I never really turned it up that loud yet my neighbor claims I made her pictures fall off her walls. Therefore, I need something smaller and less powerful but still sounds and preforms decently w/o spending a lot of money. Have any suggestions?????Sure i have lots of suggestions. I have almost no money and have build many things myself incl. things that can help you too. Build a bass trap and absorb those waves on your wall and you gain two things. A nice, cleaner and dryer bass and no more *****ing neighbors. Hit me up on MSN and i will send you some construction pics and give you my ideas. MSN=overture3@hotmail.com

Woochifer
02-01-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't think that the size of the woofer is at issue, because the woofer size alone does not determine the tonal properties. What a subwoofer outputs depends on the properties of the driver (such as the maximum excursion and linearity in the response), the amp output, the box design, filters or EQ used, the size of the room, and the placement of the sub within the room, among many other factors.

For your purposes, you simply need to account for the level, the low extension, and how much bass gets transmitted through to your neighbor's place. Unfortunately, low frequencies are the most difficult to control, especially after they get into your neighbor's space.

The lower the frequency, the more likely they will pass through the wall. The higher the level, the more likely your neighbor will hear the bass. The more reverberant and/or acoustically transparent your walls are, the more likely your neighbor will hear the bass.

The subwoofer will vary by frequency extension, and you have control over the level. The room acoustical issues are more tricky. Bass traps and absorption can help even out the bass that you hear, but your neighbor's room probably does not have those types of acoustical controls in place, so the bass that they hear will vary by location and can sound boomier in some spots than in your room. Keep in mind that low frequencies that sound even and well controlled from your seated position can easily sound boomy and unbearable next door under certain conditions. And unless you're using masonry construction or very thick absorbing materials, it's very unlikely that you will filter out all of the bass if the walls adjoin one another.

One alternative of course is to get a subwoofer that does not extend much beyond about 35 Hz, and play your DVDs using a lower LFE level. But, with your Studio 20's bass extension somewhere around 40-45 Hz, a subwoofer with a higher rolloff isn't going to add much. If anything, using a subwoofer would allow you to better control the level for the frequency range below the crossover point.

Keep in mind that even your Studio 20s alone with the LFE track mixed into main output with no subwoofer can still transmit a considerable amount of bass due to the prominence of the low frequencies in the DVD soundtracks themselves. In your situation, just exercise discretion. Subwoofers were not designed with apartment living in mind.

RIT
02-02-2006, 08:25 AM
You could try some bass shakers.

speakeroligist_38
02-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for clearing that up wooch. I will keep all of this in mind when demoing subs. Florian, I apppreciate you offering to help treat my room but dont think I will worry about it for the time being. Who knows what the future holds and if I decide to treat my living room I will be sure to look you up. Thanks for all of your help guys. Take care.