Speakers for a dorm/Amplified speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for a dorm/Amplified speakers

Clasam
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi, I'm looking for some speakers that

#1)Are self powered...no need for a separate amp
#2)Are on the flattering side (lots of mp3s and whatnot)
#3)Are $500 or less (gotta save SOME money for books :) )

Thanks

Jon

audiomadness
01-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi, I'm looking for some speakers that

#1)Are self powered...no need for a separate amp
#2)Are on the flattering side (lots of mp3s and whatnot)
#3)Are $500 or less (gotta save SOME money for books :) )

Thanks

Jon

Are you looking into a mini home theater or just 2 channel setup?

If your looking for a mini home theater with lots of slam... then I would recommend the logitech Z-5500($230 at TigerDirect.com). You can hook it up to your 5.1 computer sound card and it even has digital inputs to connect a DVD Player.

If you're just aiming at 2-channel, then there are a number of powered monitors you can audition at Sam Ash or Guitar Center that are pretty good for less the 500 bucks.

good luck!!

Clasam
01-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks AM...

I'm going for a 2 channel setup, it'll be for music about 75% of the time and movies the rest...

The thing about monitors...won't these reveal more truth than the flattering sound I'm looking for?

I guess if I were to "broaden" my search, could you recommend an amp $200-250, and speakers $250-300 (bookshelf, of course)?

audiomadness
01-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks AM...

I'm going for a 2 channel setup, it'll be for music about 75% of the time and movies the rest...

The thing about monitors...won't these reveal more truth than the flattering sound I'm looking for?

I guess if I were to "broaden" my search, could you recommend an amp $200-250, and speakers $250-300 (bookshelf, of course)?

Well let's put it this way....a good entry level powered monitor( like the Roland DS-5 @$300/pair) would make your MP3's just sound even better, since I'm guessing at this point that you are using some MP3 player of some sort.

Later, when you catch the bug like I have, upgrading to a good CD/DVD player (from makers like NAD, Cambridge Audio or Marantz ) would make your music shine even more. The good thing is that your won't have to buy an addition amp with powered monitors.

On the other hand, If you want a separate int. amp/speaker set, I would recommend the NAD C320BEE(retails for about $400). If you can swing the extra dollars, I would get that and purchase the Phase Technology 4.5 teatros from OneCall.com for $130/pr). I think these bookshelves are the most underrated speakers around and they sound as good as speakers costing many times that and I've auditioned a lot of them.

Good Luck