DVD Player Audio Options [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player Audio Options

jdag
01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
My DVD player, Harman Kardon DVD31, has audio setup options that allow for setting speaker distances/delays. Should I set those, or does my AV receiver (HK AVR 335) override those settings anyhow? What are advantages/disadvantages of these settings? Thanks, John

PAT.P
01-27-2006, 11:00 AM
My DVD player, Harman Kardon DVD31, has audio setup options that allow for setting speaker distances/delays. Should I set those, or does my AV receiver (HK AVR 335) override those settings anyhow? What are advantages/disadvantages of these settings? Thanks, JohnOn my Yamaha DVD-A SACD multi-channel the receiver does"nt override the setting.On my JVC DVD player I could set effect (drama,suspence ect)and the receiver does'nt override.

L.J.
01-27-2006, 11:12 AM
My DVD player, Harman Kardon DVD31, has audio setup options that allow for setting speaker distances/delays. Should I set those, or does my AV receiver (HK AVR 335) override those settings anyhow? What are advantages/disadvantages of these settings? Thanks, John

You need to set that if your using the analog outs on your player. This is useful for DVD-A playback on your player and your player will be doing all the processing and bass management.

If your only using the digital out from your player, your AVR handles all the processing and bass management.

EdwardGein
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I have this great player. My settings on this are identical to the settings I have on my Denon receiver. I have the audio connected by fiber optics cable. I find the sound is superior when listening by optic cable rather then analogue. You need to go through each setting line on your DVD player. I recommend you set the following settings as follows:
PCM Limit No Limit
Dynamic Range Minimal (This means its at its optimimum, maximum means its not!)
Audio Adjustment ON
Make sure the distance & DB settings are in agreement with your receiver
Video: Make sure you have Aspect at 16:9 if you have widescreen TV, Progressive Scan if connected by component cables & Video Mode Auto

I would double check your settings, turn the DVD off then back on again to make sure they stuck & periodically recheck your settings. Again the receivers settings & DVD settings should be the same where applicable

Woochifer
01-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Just use the same settings with both your receiver and DVD player. As LJ mentioned, the settings on the DVD player will apply when using the analog connection, while the receiver setup will apply with a digital connection. This of course presumes that your receiver's analog inputs completely bypass all of the digital processing.

The only setting that you might need to match between the DVD player and your receiver is the level adjustment. Use a SPL meter to first check the speaker levels using a digital signal, and then adjust the output with your DVD player (using the analog connections) so that it matches the output levels that you used with the digital connection.

EdwardGein
01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
The Audio Adjustment Setting on the Denon determines if the DVD player is calling the shots or the receiver