Quick question with DVD audio formats [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quick question with DVD audio formats

venkman
01-26-2006, 10:53 PM
I am buying a new DVD player and just want to make sure I am doing it right. As long as it has DTS, Dolby Digital / AC-3 output it can play

DTS ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS NEO:6, and DTS 96/24
THX
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

right? More specifically I am going to choose between the Onkyo
dv-sp303 $119
dv-cp702 $164
dv-sp502 $250

also What is VLSC (vector linear shaping circuity) my receiver TX-sr703 has it and the dv-cp702 has it but the dv-sp303 doesn't. Is it worth the 50 bucks? Thanks

L.J.
01-27-2006, 07:18 AM
I am buying a new DVD player and just want to make sure I am doing it right. As long as it has DTS, Dolby Digital / AC-3 output it can play

DTS ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS NEO:6, and DTS 96/24
THX
Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

right? More specifically I am going to choose between the Onkyo
dv-sp303 $119
dv-cp702 $164
dv-sp502 $250

also What is VLSC (vector linear shaping circuity) my receiver TX-sr703 has it and the dv-cp702 has it but the dv-sp303 doesn't. Is it worth the 50 bucks? Thanks

venkman,

It is your AVR that will be doing all the processing as long as your using a digital connection between your AVR and DVD player. You should be fine with any of those players.

Not sure about the VLSC, but with each upgrade on your list you gain something. The 303 is single disc, the 702 is a 6 disc and offers the VLSC technology, and the 502 supports SACD and DVD-A playback.

Anyways, the best I can do is give you the definition on the VLSC technology:
"Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC): The DV-CP702 uses Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry to remove stray pulse noise from the digital signal for a smoother, richer analog output signal."

Try all three if possible :) I vote for the 502