Best floorstanders for Nad T763? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best floorstanders for Nad T763?

RoyY51
01-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I was hoping that someone would have an opinion as to which floorstanding speakers would mate best with my Nad T763. I am currently using MA B2's for my theater surround speakers, and although they sound just fine for movies, I was thinking that a full-range pair of floorstanders would improve the quality of my music listening experience. I would like to keep the price below $1500. This would improve the likelyhood that my wife would choose to just make me sleep in the theater room for a few days instead of divorcing me.

If anyone has heard a great match between <1500 floorstanders and Nad electronics, I'm all ears. I'm hoping to find a full-range pair that will not require the use of my subwoofer. I'm aware that the T763 lacks a little in the bass region so perhaps some speakers with a higher sensitivity than my MA B2's might do the trick.

Any and all thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

drseid
01-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I confess that there has only been one pair of sub $2K/pr. floorstanders that has ever impressed me enough to recommend it, and it costs $1800/pr. The speaker is called the Opera Audio Consonance Eric-3, for reference. One that I have *not* heard, but am very familiar with the underlying family sound is sold Internet direct only.... the Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-3 floorstander at $1450/pr. You can find a picture and description here: http://www.tyleracoustics.com/freedom.html .

Other than those two, I would look at mini-monitors in this price range (as you can get a really good one for $1500 +/-).

---Dave

kexodusc
01-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Drseid sure has interesting tastes in audio...I like his recommendations.
Don't knock your receiver...it's a pretty darn good'un, and isn't lacking the bass region at all IMO.

RoyY51
01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Drseid sure has interesting tastes in audio...I like his recommendations.
Don't knock your receiver...it's a pretty darn good'un, and isn't lacking the bass region at all IMO.
Kexodusc:

I'm not knocking the Nad in the important areas...however, compared to the Marantz 780 that I used prior to the Nad, the bass is severly lacking. The 780 made my MA B2's come alive. I never felt the need to engage my sub for music. With the T763, I have to kick in the sub to fill in the bottom end of the B2's, and the overall effect is more disjointed.