audio/visual related jobs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : audio/visual related jobs

hmmmm
01-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm just toying around with the thought of maybe sometime getting into some audio/video related field maybe in the next 5-10 years. I'm not a spring chicken but I would be in my mid 40's when the change could happen. I used to be a top sales man right after college for a couple years selling electronics -I actually won thousands of dollars worth of free Bose speakers! - I traded them all in for other things at the time except for one pair I still have after 12 years.
Are there any sites that have different job descriptions and training needed as well as current average wages? At this point in my life I wouldn't want to work at one of the Big Box stores but might consider sales in something high end; home theater design; calibration or whatever.
Again, just some thoughts dancing around in my head. I couldn't make any changes for at least for 5 years. I could however take classes or start reading up on some things.
Thanks!

Woochifer
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
This is currently one of the tougher jobs out there right now in terms of the work involved for what you typically get paid. Unfortunately for job seekers, the traditional commissioned sales force model is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Electronics stores are getting squeezed on all sides, and have had to cut costs to stay competitive with Wal-Mart type discount stores, and online sales. Circuit City accelerated this trend a few years ago when they laid off their entire commissioned sales staff and replaced them with hourly employees. The now defunct Good Guys had to follow suit, and the customer service in all these cases has suffered. The only national chain I'm aware of that still uses a commissioned sales reps is Sears. Some regional chains such as Magnolia still use commissioned sales staff.

The high end boutiques are the only other places where the employees work on commission. But, with the stores I'm familiar with, there's not a whole lot of turnover and the people working there tend to stay on for a long time. With the healthier stores in my area, they've managed to stay afloat by offering not just audio and video products, but home installation, design, repair, and contracting services as well. Those services are where the margins remain high, and stores that primarily deal in component sales are the ones that have gone out of business. But, even there, the little guys are getting squeezed as regional chains such as Tweeter and Magnolia move into that line of work, so that they can stay ahead of the consolidations occurring in the industry.

hmmmm
01-27-2006, 04:33 AM
Electronics stores are getting squeezed on all sides, and have had to cut costs to stay competitive with Wal-Mart type discount stores, and online sales. Circuit City accelerated this trend a few years ago when they laid off their entire commissioned sales staff and replaced them with hourly employees. The now defunct Good Guys had to follow suit, and the customer service in all these cases has suffered. The only national chain I'm aware of that still uses a commissioned sales reps is Sears. Some regional chains such as Magnolia still use commissioned sales staff.

The high end boutiques are the only other places where the employees work on commission. But, with the stores I'm familiar with, there's not a whole lot of turnover and the people working there tend to stay on for a long time. With the healthier stores in my area, they've managed to stay afloat by offering not just audio and video products, but home installation, design, repair, and contracting services as well. Those services are where the margins remain high, and stores that primarily deal in component sales are the ones that have gone out of business. But, even there, the little guys are getting squeezed as regional chains such as Tweeter and Magnolia move into that line of work, so that they can stay ahead of the consolidations occurring in the industry.

Thanks for the response Wooch,
I do realize that this is happening- that's why I'm considering other areas besides sales. I'm looking to do something I'm interested in (even if it's hard work)- I'm not as concerned with making big bucks and I'm willing to pay for some education. It would be more of a supplemental income.