FM Interference from CD player? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : FM Interference from CD player?

nightflier
01-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm using a generic T-antenna for FM reception in the living room and noticed that if I prop the antenna away from the CD player as much as possible, the reception improves. I remember reading somewhere that CD players cause interference with RCA interconnects in higher end equipment (this setup isn't). The CD player is an Onkyo DX-C380 plain vanilla player, but I am wondering if this is the reason. There is also a power strip back there, so that may also be causing the interference.

The problem is that I can't really move the receiver any further away so there is still some proximity where the antenna connects to the FM input. Will using a short but thicker/shielded BNC cable between the antenna and the receiver help?

Resident Loser
01-26-2006, 12:14 PM
...poor reception or interference?...really two different things...CDPs and other digital devices (or those that contain digital processors) carry the warning tag re: FCC requirements, blah, blah, blah...

I would define interference as some sort of audible hash through your FM reception...poor reception as drift, loss of stereo, auto-muting, that sort of thing...

Perhaps it's simply coincidence that you are finding a stronger signal by relocating your dipole...a 6ft. coax jumper, probably terminated in a balun and then connected to the "T" might improve things, so could a simple strand of wire in the other direction...a little experimentation can work wonders...

jimHJJ(...sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees...)

markw
01-26-2006, 02:37 PM
....why would you need the CD player on when listening to the FM?

And, repositioning the antenna some distance away should help. It just may be the metal around the components as opposed to the stuff inside. FM is funny that way...

nightflier
01-26-2006, 04:38 PM
....why would you need the CD player on when listening to the FM?

The Onkyo CD Changer has no remote on/off, so it's on all the time. They are all inside of a cabinet, so moving things around is a bit of pain.