More Joy Division than Interpol.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More Joy Division than Interpol..

-Jar-
01-26-2006, 09:19 AM
anyone heard that song "Tear You Apart" by She Wants Revenge? I've heard the song a few times in the past week so I had to do some research.. turns out it's a couple of L.A. DJ's who decided to get into (cash in?) the whole neo-80's thing.. and they do a pretty darn good drop-dead Joy Division if you ask me, at least on this one song. I'm not sure what to think about it, to ignore them or check 'em out further. I like Interpol but it's difficult for me to fully give into their sound because it's sooo JD. Well these guys are just like that, even more so. I think this reviewer says it pretty well:

She Wants Revenge are either the greatest tribute band in the history of music, or the biggest pranksters since Spinal Tap. The impression is so dead-on, I can't help thinking that it might have been intended as something of a prank: if two DJs can replicate such a distinctive sound with such precision on a whim, what does that say about bands who devote their entire careers to following so slavishly in the footsteps of others?

http://www.popmatters.com/music/reviews/s/shewantsrevenge-st2005.shtml

(no reviews on either Allmusic or Amazon, this was the best one I've found so far)

Jim you might want to check these guys out..totally right up your alley.

-jar

PDK
01-26-2006, 01:27 PM
No, I've not heard this but will frantically do some searching to find it. I've been a huge Joy Div fan since about a year after their demise and feel that they left their imprint on about half of the music to come out of the UK since.

Ironically, last weekend over cocktails an old mate of mine proposed we form a JoyDiv cover band. Two decades ago we played a few standards (Disorder, Transmission, etc) within our own original sets (think Killing Joke/Gang of 4, early PFurs, except with exceptionally tedious lyrics and more guitar) but he thinks we'd now be quite the novelty act... Given he looks like Ian and I have even less stage presence than Peter Hook, how could we fail?

Have you heard the Editors: The Back Room?

unleasHell
01-26-2006, 10:54 PM
I've seen some recent ads for JD tribute bands playing around LA/ Hollywood, have not seen any of them though. this sounds fun...

nobody
01-27-2006, 04:30 PM
I heard a single off this on the radio and really liked it. Is it derrivitive? Sure, but its well done and most other stuff out there is pretty derrivitive anyway. At least these guys steal from some stuff I like and don't sound like crap doing it.