Help with new smaller hometheater system. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with new smaller hometheater system.

krolfes
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
I need some help upgrading my home theater system. It is about 8-10 years old and consists of Klipsch KSF 10.5 (towers two 8” woofers) for fronts, matching center (two 6 ¼” woofers), matching rears (5 ½” woofer, two tweeters), and lastly a Definitive Technology PF1500 sub (15” 300watt 85lbs). A Denon 1800 powers these. I am very happy with this system and it puts out a ton of power.

I would like to improve the quality of this system but in a much smaller package. The towers are just too big now and the sub is the size of a coffee table. Even my rear speakers are pretty big (about 14”L, 8”H, 8”D) It was nice in college but now that I am married I want something that fits in our lifestyle and living room better. I am not concerned about maintaining the same level of “loudness or power” just good quality that will fill a mid sized room.

I have looked at Definitive Gems and a supercube II, Definitive StudioMonitors 350 or 450, supercube II, and BP 1.2x rears, Definitive BP7006, no sub, BP 2.0 rears, Boston Acoustics Micro 130 system with Boston 700 sub, and larger Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers with rears and subs.

I am looking mainly at bookshelf speakers or small wall mountable speakers. I would consider a small set of tower speakers they could eliminate the need for a separate sub as with the Definitive BP7006. This system will be 80% HT and 20% music.

I have had a chance to listen to most of these speakers briefly and I am very impressed by most of them especially the Definitive BP7006 towers that are half the size of my current towers with built subs, which would eliminate my need for a sub (I hope). I also liked the idea of the StudioMonitors since they are a full range speaker. The gems/Boston Acoustics micro 130 seem great size wise but how good are smaller speaker now?

I am looking to spend about $1500-$2000 or less for just speakers/sub and I basically need some ideas and feed back. I have not been shopping for speakers for a while and need some direction and help. I am open to most brands but some like NHT I just cant get out and listen to. Thanks in advance.

bjornb17
01-25-2006, 10:15 PM
Bose :)

kidding... Welcome to the forums!

LMB
01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I have the Boston 130, Boston VRC and Velodyne SPL 800
with Pioneer Elite 55TXI Receiver, Pioneer Elite AV-47AI ,
I can't believe the sound now that I got rid of the Bose

Have fun shopping

krolfes
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I have the Boston 130, Boston VRC and Velodyne SPL 800
with Pioneer Elite 55TXI Receiver, Pioneer Elite AV-47AI ,
I can't believe the sound now that I got rid of the Bose

Have fun shopping

How does the SPL800 fit in with the Boston 130's? Is it too much sub for the speakers? How are the mids where the sub and speakers cross over(80hz-150hz)?

LMB
01-29-2006, 06:22 PM
The SPL800 works great with the Boston 130's I have the crossover set to 80 in the receiver sounds great