hhmmm, no Tuesday thread this week... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : hhmmm, no Tuesday thread this week...

3-LockBox
01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
and there still isn't :o

May everyday be a Tuesday thread! :p

Dave_G
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Well I listened to some Stan Ridgway, The Fixx, Genesis (the lamb), Pendragon, Satellite, Neil Morse ? , Lana Lane, and Yes Magnification.

Dave

Troy
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Well I listened to some Stan Ridgway, The Fixx, Genesis (the lamb), Pendragon, Satellite, Neil Morse ? , Lana Lane, and Yes Magnification.

Dave

Lana lane is immesurably cheesy, isn't it?

Bake me a copy of that Neil Morse, woodja?

Dave_G
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
The Neil Morse is christian prog big time but I like it more than any NM stuff thusfar, including the Beard.

I think you will like it too, don't get all obsessed with the lyrics tho.

It's on the way to ya.

Dave

Pat D
01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=3-LockBox]and there still isn't :o

Too bad. I've been listening to some LPs again.

Viotti, Violin Concerto No. 22. Suzanne Lautenbacher, violin; C. A. Bunte, Symphony Orchestra, Berlin (!). Turnabout TV 34229. Very nice piece of music, not great and profound but with some lilting tunes for the violin. Ms. Lautenbacher gave a very memorable performance.

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition. Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra.

Schumann, Symphonies. George Szell, Cleveland Orchestra, on Columbia. Many consider these to be classic performances. I like them, too, but not better than Antoni Wit on Naxos. But they are very lovingly phrased.

Brahms, Violin Concerto. David Oistrakh, violin; Szell, Cleveland Orchestra, on Angel.

Beethoven, Violin Concerto. Arthur Grumiaux, violin; on Philips.

And on CD:

Schumann, Symphonies. Antoni Wit, Polish National Radio Symphony, on Naxos.

Beethoven, Symphony No. 7. Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic, on Chesky.

Mozart, Symphony No.35 (Krips) and 41 (Leibowitz), Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, on Chesky. There's also a fine Haydn, Symphony No. 104 with Krips, but I didn't listen to it.

Brahms, German Requiem. Richard Stilwell, baritone; Arleen Auger, soprano; Shaw, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, on Telarc.

Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 23, 24 and 61. Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra on Naxos.

nobody
01-27-2006, 04:34 PM
been away for a while so too much to mention...but props to JC for his 2005 comp. It arrived the day before my New Years Eve gathering and was played and enjoyed greatly by all in attendance. Many thanks.

Not too much new here...mostly really old stuff, actually. The most time listening lately has been to a couple Cds...Fats Waller's greatest, which is a release from 2002 I believe with the best sound of any of the wealler releases I have listened to. Its on RCS and has a green and blue color scheme if anybody goes looking. Great stuff both vocalyl and on the piano..excellent on the few organ tracks included as well. Also really digging a CD called Hillbilly Boogie...a bunch of 30s and 40s country/jazz/western swing stuff...Spade Cooley, Bib Wuillis and more...great fun stuff to listen to. Also been spinning a Reader's Digest collection of popular hits from the 40s I picked up in a thrify...6 LP set of really great stuff.