Noob needs speaker suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs speaker suggestions

kprime
01-25-2006, 07:48 PM
hi
im a total noob to speakers and i just got a pioneer vsx-515-k receiver from my uncle who just got a better one and i dont have any speakers and i just wanted to start on my two front main speakers for now. I was wondering if anybody could give me some suggestions on some decent speakers around $200-$300 and are kind of small because my room is only about 10x12ft and i am primarily going to use it to watch movies.

thank you

zepman1
01-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Look around for some nice bookshelves. You really need to go out and listen for yourself, speakers are very dependent on personal taste. Polk, Athena, and Klipsch are decent options at the big box stores. Most Klipsch and Polk speakers are a little grating on my ears, but there a lot of people who like them. There numerous other options available at hi-fi stores depending on what is available where you live.

L.J.
01-26-2006, 06:37 AM
Hey kprime,

As Zepman mentioned your best bet is to find a couple of mid-end speaker dealers in your area, take a couple of your favorite CD's with you and start listein'. If you have a Magnolia ministore inside your local Best Buy, that may be a great place to start.

One good thing about starting off with 2 small bookshevles, is that later on when you build some more cash you can buy better fronts and move those to the surround position.

To go along with brands Zepman mentioned, you can also look at Paradigm, Energy, Wharfedale, Boston and Mirage to name a few more. There are lots to choose from so have fun.