Audio Post Production Jobs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Post Production Jobs

kingcrim05
01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I've been a member here a while and i don't post much but i lurk around pretty often. I'm a student at the Institue of Production and Recording in Minneapolis and am looking for opportunities in post production with audio.

I really have next to no idea where to start or even how i should start in this industry. I'm going to be at school for a few more quarters but would love to get a jump start in any way possible with my career. Are there any professionals on this board who could give me some guidance? Any help is appreciated!

Jeff
www.iprschool.com
kingcrim05@gmail.com

Also, if this thread should be someplace else, let me know!

Kam
01-25-2006, 02:34 PM
I've been a member here a while and i don't post much but i lurk around pretty often. I'm a student at the Institue of Production and Recording in Minneapolis and am looking for opportunities in post production with audio.

I really have next to no idea where to start or even how i should start in this industry. I'm going to be at school for a few more quarters but would love to get a jump start in any way possible with my career. Are there any professionals on this board who could give me some guidance? Any help is appreciated!

Jeff
www.iprschool.com
kingcrim05@gmail.com

for film or for music?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-26-2006, 06:20 AM

Jeff
www.iprschool.com
kingcrim05@gmail.com

Your majesty(bows humbly)
The first thing you need to consider is moving. If you are going into audio only, I would recommend Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles or New York. If you are going into film post production, then Vancouver, Los Angeles and New York are the hot market places.

Secondly, contact the major studios for internships(i.e Paramount, Fox, Warner, Universal). Get a directory of recording studios(I think Mix magazine puts one out) and see if you can get a internship at one of them. Be open to accept all kinds of work, you never know where your first break will come from.

kingcrim05
01-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I was thinking of doing audio for film and video, sorry for the confusion. ideally i want to have my own company but that is still a ways off, so i'm going to have to work for others for a while. I can see myself working on commercials for tv. How is this done exactly? The bigger companies must have their own in house production staffs with the number and variety of commercials they put out there but the smalled companies wouldn't be able to afford that i imagine.

Is there a "career path" so to speak? I doubt there is but i'm not sure. I realize internships are where everyone starts but after that it's wherever and whoever wants to work with me i imagine.

What kinds of things are employers looking for? What are things that seperate two seemingly similar candidates?

My program is is for audio production and engineering. So far i've learned mainly the engineering sides and the how and why behind things. The production aspect is and will be taught later on in my course. I've already worked with a variety of consoles including a Trident, a new ICON and in two months will start working on an SSL. My school stresses ProTools greatly and i'm working on the DCommands and Dcontrols and going through Digidesign's own courses. What else is required by the industry?

Thank you all for all your help!