Millions - Must See! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Millions - Must See!

Kam
01-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Millions (2004/5 - UK) Directed by Danny Boyle (ala Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) To say this is nothing like his other movies is an understatement. At least in the outward trappings of the movie. But it is easily his best, and just as fierce in its examination of humanity. It is a family movie about two young boys and their dad (their mom passed away recently). They move into a new house in a new neighborhood, and the youngest builds a fort out of the boxes by train tracks. As he's watching trains pass by one day a bag of money falls from the sky and crashes into his fort. The two kids try and decide what to do, the youngest wanting to give it to the pour, while the older wants to invest and buy things. There are soooooooo many layers to this movie that all i described is the base skeletal framework of it. Sure, nothing new in the found-money plot device, but the imagination and just sheer joy of this movie just doesnt let you go. I figured to just start watching it last night and then pick it up again today, but i couldnt turn it off. it is really a brilliant movie and perhaps my favorite of the year. at least in my top 5 easy. it just captures such a joy and wonderment and the performances of the two boys, especially the youngest one, are just amazing. just pop it in to the dvd player, sit back with an open mind, and enjoy a wonderful, heartfelt, beautiful movie. Not to mention the incredible soundtrack. the music in it just captures everything perfectly, and am sure will give the soundsytem a good work out with the synth sections and heavy bass too. having just watched it, am going to go buy it and the soundtrack i loved them both so much. Definitely put this one at the top of the list as just a great movie to fall into. Highly reccomended and good fun!

peace
k2

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Kamster,
Thanks for the review bud. I guess now I'll take the wrapper off of this one and watch it this afternoon after work.

dean_martin
01-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Looks like you're back into the Netflix groove, Kam. Thanks for your posts on recent rentals, I always read'em and take notes even if I don't reply.

I vaguely remember this one and was curious. Didn't realize it was directed by Boyle. If it's his best, then I'm sure I'll like it. Shallow Grave and Trainspotting I've watched multiple times.

Kam
01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah, things have slowed down a little this month, so have picked back up on the movie watching! which might slow down with some upcoming projects, so cramming in as many as i can!

Next up on the "queue":
The Weather Underground
Comedian
A Chinese Ghost Story
Dragon Inn
The Motorcyle Diaries
8 1/2
Taps
The Sea Inside
Irreversible
+ 60 more to go!