AVIA Guide to Home Theater vs Digital Video Essentials? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AVIA Guide to Home Theater vs Digital Video Essentials?

venkman
01-25-2006, 12:00 AM
I am trying to order a good video calibration DVD for new TV and came across these two on Amazon. The amazon reviews recomend the Avia one but I thought I would ask the experts what they think. Or, maybe there is a better one I don't know of.

zepman1
01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
I have DVE and think it does a good job. The interface is not very user friendly, but you can just find the sections you want on the included table of contents card and just punch in the chapters you need. There is a large assortment of test patterns for both audio and video.

When I bought it, I did so because it was very cheap (got a good deal at buy.com I think) and is considered to be a very complete calibration DVD. Avia is also well regarded, probably more user friendly, and usually more expensive. Probably can't go wrong with either title.

kexodusc
01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I have both. I think DVE is probably the better of the two for most people. If memory serves, there's a few more test patterns on Avia, but they're well beyond most users I suspect. In my case, I couldn't notice any difference in the patterns even with the settings at the extremes, so I tend to believe these are very subtle final tweeks indeed. Even DVE was gets more complex than I care to go. Sound & Vision's home theater calibration DVD isn't bad either, and I believe is still the cheapest of the 3...You'd capture 90% of benefit of the other two with that one. But it's by far the easiest of the 3 to sit and work with.

DVE's menu isn't that bad...but there is a bit of learning curve. The audio tests are good too.

I agree with Zepman1, you can't go wrong with either DVE or Avia, and because of cost, I recommend DVE more.

In the meantime, the THX tests found on DVD's like Shrek and Fight Club cover many of the basic video tests to help get you started.

Woochifer
01-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Avia is more user friendly, but it dates back to 1999 and lacks audio tests for DTS and 6.1 processing. Both discs have extensive video tests that use a three-color filter for calibration. Until Avia includes a more up-to-date set of audio tests, I would go with DVE. However, as others have pointed out, DVE is not very user friendly, with sucky navigation menus and mediocre tutorials

As kex mentioned, another alternative that you should consider is the Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup DVD. It's actually produced by the same company that created Avia. It's aimed more at beginners and the video tests are less extensive, using only a single blue filter. But, if you've never used a calibration disc before, that one might provide all that you need to get started, and it includes the DTS and 6.1 audio tests. It includes some easy-to-follow tutorials, and has some very nice extras, including Dolby Digital and THX trailers.

toenail
01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I own DVE and Avia. FWIW my DVD player (Tosh 4960) has trouble with some of the menu's on Avia, but doesn't with DVE. For basic calibration of user adjustables for video it's a toss up. For DD 5.1 audio I've only used Avia and that was excellent. I'm not sure of the fuss made about navigating DVE because I don't recall there being any annoying issues while using it.