more OT : anti-virus programs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : more OT : anti-virus programs

3-LockBox
01-24-2006, 10:25 PM
since logging onto NetZero, I now have both Norton and McAfee virus protection, but I think only Norton is from NetZero. Maybe McAfee is from XP or E-machines or something.

Which one is the better of the two?

Will there be conflicts if both are activated?

Currently, both are off.

(Yes, I am pathetic)

Slosh
01-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Norton is too bloated and I haven't used McAfee in years but of the two I'd go with McAfee. That being said, forget them both and google AVG 7 free anti-virus. Not only is it free, but it works better and doesn't have all of those system-slowing redundant tools that are already built into XP SP2 anyway (such as Norton's Disk Optimizer which is just another disc clean up and defragger that you already have with Windows system tools).

Whatever you do get some form of anti-virus running right away. I wouldn't run my system for five minutes without one.

NP: Wayne Robbins and the Hellsayers - Lonesome Sea

kexodusc
01-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Slosh is right....after years of struggling with Norton and McAfee on my work laptops and home systems, I got frustrated enough a few months back to try AVG...
what a blessing. It's nowhere near the resource hog that Norton is, and it picked up a few of viruses on my machine that the latest Norton updates seemed to miss or ignore. Did I mention it was less of a resource hog than Norton? I swear it scans faster too...not sure why that would be.
I recommend ZoneAlarm as a free firewall to go with AVG for even more protection. ZoneAlarm is also nowhere near the resource hog that Norton is.

Not sure what Symantec was thinking, but damn, those Norton suites are resource hogs.

I had too many bugs and install issues with my last McAfee program to bother going back, it's been 3 years or so I'd say, but I can't say I miss it any.

Troy
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
The best Anti Virus program is Apple's OSX.

skewiff
01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree, I bought my first Mac a month ago am iMac 20 inch, with all the trimmings.
AVG is the way to go, on the PC i run this along with Ad- Aware, both free both way better than Norton or Macafee.

Tony

Hawkeye
01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I use Symantec Corporate Edition AV protection, provided for free by my company via a corporate license. I have a home LAN set up with 5 pcs on it, one being my work laptop. My company allows, and in fact stongly recommends, that I also install it (for free) on any pc attaching to the LAN that my work pc is attached to. Because of this, I've really never looked into any of the other A/V programs. Regardless of what you're using just make sure you're getting the most complete and timely virus def updates available.

dean_martin
01-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I run AVG free at home (with 2 teens, a wife and myself surfing the net, instant messaging and emailing) and the AVG professional at work.

www.grisoft.com try the free version, it may be all you'll need.

3-LockBox
01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I now have AVG 7 free anti-virus up and running