Replacement HD tuner for Comcast? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Replacement HD tuner for Comcast?

mille162
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Helping a friend install a projector in his basement and he can't get an additional HD tuner from COMCAST (right now, they're only allowing 1 per household since the demand since Xmas has gone up so much). He's looking for a value priced HD receiver/tuner that will work with a COMCAST signal in the Philadelphia area. I'm guessing the standalone mini-box they have to be able to work the onscreen menu and on-demand features, but can anyone confirm?

There's a few DIRECT TV Tivo/HD units on ebay and he's wondering if those will work with the COMCAST signal, has anyone tried this?

TIA

phillyguy
01-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Can your friend use a cable card in his other set? Maybe they would let him have one of those in addition to his box. I don't know how Comcast could ever let themselves run low on HD boxes. That is ridiculous, but believable because they were out of HD boxes in some locations when I picked up my HD box last December. Any other box other than Comcast's would likely be illegal on their system. It may be time to switch to satellite.

mille162
01-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I don't think he's considering Satellite now, although maybe if it takes longer than a few months to get another HD receiver.

With the cable card, couldn't he just get a stand alone HD receiver and use the same card? Not sure on what he's using w/his plasma upstairs but swapping out that w/ a card is a good option.

I've got a relative who works for Motorola (supplies the HD receivers to COMCAST) and he said you wouldn't believe the increase in demand for them (or the issues they've been having with HDCP).

phillyguy
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I was thinking you could use a cable card in the TV, provided the set has an HD tuner. Not sure if you could find an HD box that the card could work in. The problem with the card is you will not have on-demand features or the menus.