DVD Skipping! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Skipping!

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
My Compaq laptop was playing dvds all day and then started skipping [a/v/] when I put a new disc in. I looked at it and sure enough the kids had gotten it pretty dirty. I cleaned it but no ALL the dvds I've tried [4] skip the same way. I hit the laser with compressed air but no luck. What's up?

Woochifer
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Might have a misaligned drive. Since this is a laptop, the transport is obviously a lot more exposed than with a standalone DVD player. More mishaps can obviously occur if prowling child fingers have full access to the drive mechanism. When my DVD player started skipping on occasion, I used a lens cleaning disc and DVDs loaded more reliably afterwards.

Also, keep in mind that the slim profile DVD drives typically installed on laptops are more delicate than the larger drives used with dedicated DVD players and desktop PCs. The DVD drive on my laptop failed after about 2 years of use. It was replaced under warranty, and the replacement drive lasted about 3 months before it too failed. I installed the current drive in my laptop about 6 months ago, and it's still working (knock knock). If your laptop's warranty is still active, you should contact Compaq and have them ship a replacement drive to you.

Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks, it's just a few months old so under warrenty. I think I'll try one of those disc cleaners before I go that route.