would i be better off? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : would i be better off?

dystrother
01-24-2006, 11:53 AM
hi all

i live in a dorm and ive posted a few questiosn here about buying a system. I currently have a sony wega 15'' flat panel LCD tv and a harman/kardon DVD 22 dvd player. I want to buy a receiver and i had intended on getting a 5.1 speaker system to go along. I dont have a big budget, i have about 500 dollars to spend but if im not gonna be satsfied then i dont wanna spend that much. I know i need to get a receiver, ill probably get a Pioneer VSX-815 or an Onkyo TX-SR503. My question is, would i be better off just getting two bookshelfs which i can later convert to rears instead of going out and getting a 5.1 system? if im going to be dissapointed with my 5.1 speakers then i dont wanna spend the money on them, but will i? Ive been told that the athena point 5s and the athena micra 6 are good systems. Should i go for the 5.1 or get the bookshelfs? what athe best bookshelfs for around 200 dollars?

Florian
01-24-2006, 11:59 AM
The answere only depends on your character. Most people i see in online audio forums get the best bang for the buck which already incl. all devices needed to get going. I am different, i started slowly and only with a receiver (onkyo tx-ds555) and some Infinity RS3 bookshelfs which later served as surrounds. In my opinion i would buy some good quality main speakers and save up money to complete the rest of the system with high quality components.

dystrother
01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
my dorm room doesnt have the best acoustics nor does it have room for good speaker placement. What are good bookshelfs that are very quality(in other words, whats gonna give me the best bang for my buck) i have about 150-200 to spend.

Florian
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Well i dont know any half way decent speaker in the 200 dollar range so my suggestion is that you find some projects and build your own speaker. If you ask in this forum for one recommendation it will be partsexpress or axiom etc... I suggest you look around some more and take your time. Acoustics can be easily helped so dont worry about that now, besides almost noone actually cares about room acoustics.

Look for a speaker do it yourself kit or used older speakers maybe from TDL.

Enjoy the trip

dystrother
01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Look for a speaker do it yourself kit or used older speakers maybe from TDL

what is TDL?

Florian
01-24-2006, 12:19 PM
what is TDL?
TDL was a british company whose developer made the transmission line. Just look on google for TDL transmission line speakers.

bjornb17
01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
He's probably not looking for anything extravegant. There are plenty of bookshelve speakers in the $200 price rank that you will probably like.

I'd say go with these:
http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2124916&cp=&keywords=polk&y=0&searchId=10502202490&x=0&parentPage=search

That's a great price for some decent bookshelves, that can later be surrounds if you chose. I use Polk Monitor 30s (same speaker actually) as surrounds and they do a great job. I haven't heard them as mains so i can't really comment on that.

Florian
01-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Well the old Transmissionlines are cheap and will blow any bookshelf or small floorstander out of the water. Just be patient and look around.