looking for bookshelf speakers $300-500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : looking for bookshelf speakers $300-500

t_burm
01-24-2006, 04:31 AM
Hey all,

I am in the market for new bookshelf speakers to upgrade from my current speakers, yes, I know the Bose 301. I like them a lot, but after having them for over a year, i find that they do not fullfill all my requirements...

I primarily listen to music which has a lot of bass (I'm a DJ), and lots of downtempo music, with some jazz...

I have read the other threads and looked at the KEF's & Athena's, but neither of them specify if they are good with the music I listen to.

I will not use these speakers for my home theater system as I have one already

What do you recommend? Which ones should I listen to at the store?

Thanks a lot,

Tim

bjornb17
01-24-2006, 05:40 AM
You could go to circuit city and try the Polk Monitor 40s ($300), Infinity Beta 20s ($300-$400), or you can go online and order the Polk RTi4s (~$260) or Rti6s (~$400).

EDIT: Welcome to the forums :)

L.J.
01-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey all,

I am in the market for new bookshelf speakers to upgrade from my current speakers, yes, I know the Bose 301. I like them a lot, but after having them for over a year, i find that they do not fullfill all my requirements...

I primarily listen to music which has a lot of bass (I'm a DJ), and lots of downtempo music, with some jazz...

I have read the other threads and looked at the KEF's & Athena's, but neither of them specify if they are good with the music I listen to.

I will not use these speakers for my home theater system as I have one already

What do you recommend? Which ones should I listen to at the store?

Thanks a lot,

Tim

I would suggest that you take some of your favorite CD's to a mid/high end speaker dealer and start listening. Only you'll know which speakers you like and fit your needs. Perhaps you could drop that 500 on some nice bookshelves and add a sub later on.

Bernd
01-24-2006, 07:13 AM
I would suggest that you take some of your favorite CD's to a mid/high end speaker dealer and start listening. Only you'll know which speakers you like and fit your needs. Perhaps you could drop that 500 on some nice bookshelves and add a sub later on.

L.J.-that's realy sound advice.
I would recomend the Epos EL S3 or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 plus some decent stands and you should have money over for some tunes.If you can't use stands, the Wharfedales will work well on a shelf aswell, as they are front ported. If you need any more bass you could add the Wharfedale Diamond SW150. Would intgrate well.Have fun.
My 2cts.

Bernd

Eric Z
01-24-2006, 07:50 AM
LJ makes a great point- spend the $500 on some bookshelf speakers (you should be able to get a decent pair with your budget) and get a sub later on for the bass. You should listen to as many speakers as you can- remember to bring your own CDs so you can listen to what you want to listen to.

Mark111867
01-24-2006, 08:54 AM
The Cambridge Soundworks Newton series might be worth checking out. There are a few models in your price range. Good luck.

t_burm
01-24-2006, 05:02 PM
thanks for all the advice

I went to the store today and listened to different speakers:

this is what I listened to:
B&W 602 S3 which were good
601 still good but 602 were better imo

JMLab Chorus 714s Tec which sounded amazing and had a clear sound all over

KEF Q1 & Q3 which were great also

seeing as I don't know much about music itself, and can't explain like all of you hehe, which are the best out of that?

I know that I have to listen for myself, and I will, but it's always nice to know which ones are preferred by people who know their stuff :)

Florian
01-24-2006, 05:37 PM
I have a good tip for you :-)

Buy a ticket for any concert in your area (classical) and listen to the texture and tone of the instruments. You wont find a speaker in that price are that will sound the same, BUT go back to the store and play a good classical recording (i can give you an EXELLENT) one and see which speaker comes close to that in your mind and then buy that one.

t_burm
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a good tip for you :-)

Buy a ticket for any concert in your area (classical) and listen to the texture and tone of the instruments. You wont find a speaker in that price are that will sound the same, BUT go back to the store and play a good classical recording (i can give you an EXELLENT) one and see which speaker comes close to that in your mind and then buy that one.

what recording would that be?

and does it matter that i rarely play classical music (only piano)

bjornb17
01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
what recording would that be?

and does it matter that i rarely play classical music (only piano)

You raise a good point :)

Woochifer
01-24-2006, 08:29 PM
As much as the 301s have inaccuracies throughout the midrange and roll offs in the highs, one thing that they do well relative to other $300 bookshelf speakers is extend the bass. In your price range, you can find numerous speakers that do a lot better in the midrange and highs, and image more precisely than your 301s (that direct/reflecting design creates a more spacious sound, but muddies up the imaging in the process). But, you might have to give up some of the bass extension you're used to, depending on which model you go with.

The best choice in speaker for you is going to depend on how you intend to use it. Keep in mind that a lot of bassy hip-hop recordings are typically mixed and monitored to sound optimal on a very different setup than classical recordings. (A lot of pop albums are compressed and optimized for playback through smaller speakers and car audio systems, while some dance music is purposely mixed with a dry sound that's optimal for reverberant rooms using horn-loaded monitors and subwoofer arrays)

You mentioned that you DJ -- is your primary listening through a turntable (presumably a Technics SL-1200)? That will also factor into your decision because CDs can create a harsher sounding high end with a lot of recordings, whereas with vinyl, the highs will typically roll off more gently (provided that the pressing does not produce excessive sibilance). If you plan to listen to a lot of vinyl, then your auditions definitely should include vinyl sources. And in your listenings, definitely bring music that you're familiar with, and reflects your listening habits.

The speakers you've tried out so far generally don't have a very aggressive sound. If you want something that might give you more of a push in the bass and aggressive sound in general, look into Klipsch and Definitive Technology. I generally don't like the Def Techs because they are too aggressive for my listening, but with hip hop and classic rock, those speakers are very much at home. (Makes sense because their voicing is reminiscent of the vintage JBL sound, and much of the 70s classic rock output was mixed and monitored using JBL 43xx series studio monitors)

As others have said, you could go with a subwoofer to complement the bookshelf speakers. Either way though, it sounds like you've found some good options to start with. The key is to find the speaker that will work well with broadest cross-section of music that you listen to. No speaker out there is perfect, so the compromises and trade-offs with each one come down to what's important to you.

Just do as much listening as you can handle, and with the ones you're most interested in, see if your dealer will let you borrow them for home audition. The acoustical conditions in the dealer's demo room can create a very different sound than what you hear at home, so hearing how speakers react to your room is important.

t_burm
01-25-2006, 03:11 AM
As much as the 301s have inaccuracies throughout the midrange and roll offs in the highs, one thing that they do well relative to other $300 bookshelf speakers is extend the bass. In your price range, you can find numerous speakers that do a lot better in the midrange and highs, and image more precisely than your 301s (that direct/reflecting design creates a more spacious sound, but muddies up the imaging in the process). But, you might have to give up some of the bass extension you're used to, depending on which model you go with.
.................................................. ..........................

for home audition. The acoustical conditions in the dealer's demo room can create a very different sound than what you hear at home, so hearing how speakers react to your room is important.

all very good points, what I'll do is take a lot of CD's (which I was planning on to anyway), and see if they can set up a turntable to listen to, although that sound changes depending on needle & cartrigde used hehehe, so a lot more options

But since I'm mostly changing and using CD's to spin, I'll let my final judgement be decided by CD's, and not by 12"

Hopefully I'll have a 'winner' within a few weeks :) I'll let you all know how I did :)

Thanks for all the advice

Florian
01-25-2006, 03:27 AM
If you PM me i can give you the adress to my server where you can find our compilation. Tibet Bass Horns from 18Hz and up to massive amount of strings, flutes, gongs etc... with a power choir in the back all recorded with a single ribbon microphone 6m from the stage.

If you know how a live piano sounds like or how a violin sounds like, from its texture, tonal color and micro dynamics then you can use that recording to judge the speaker by. And if you can find a speaker that can portray that disc like it was real then keep it. So far the only speakers i heard that can do that is the DIVA and the 20.

Let me know if your interested.

Disclaimer: I know he is only looking for a smaller speaker but a good recording is always usefull no matter the price

t_burm
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
little update

after long considering, I have just bought the B&W DM 604 S3 with the new Rotel RA-O6.

I have listened to them with all sorts of music, and they are the only ones that perform extremely well on all areas :)

Now just have to wait 2 more days till I get them :)

texlle
06-01-2006, 01:45 PM
My other system is a set of B&W 603 S2's and a Cambridge Audio A500 amp. If you like more detailled, treble focused sound but with dead on imaging, you'll be content.

stymie
06-04-2006, 05:39 AM
Phasetech V-8's---you can get them from a dealer for $400-$420. Great, wide soundstage.

superpanavision70mm
06-04-2006, 09:40 AM
keep us posted on your new purchase!

t_burm
08-11-2006, 05:30 AM
little update on my situation:
as previously said, I bought the B&W DM 604 S3, and am extremely happy with it.

After that, bought new amp & cd player, both Rotel, and the difference between them and my old set up is breathtaking.

Next upgrade will be my cables: going to settle for the Nordost Blue Heaven, to bi-wire my speakers. This will happen within the next months.

Then next year, going to buy house, then at the same time, going to buy a Pioneer 50" plasma tv, another set off B&W DM 604 S3, and a center, and a great surround sound amp (don't know yet which one, Mark Levinson, Tag, ...). And that should be it then?

But when the upgrade virus has you, it's not easy to get rid off :)

Mtbrider
08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I highly recommend the x-ls speakers from av123. I've had a pair for around 3 weeks now, and I'm very pleased. They replaced Axiom M3ti's in a secondary system, and although I've enjoyed the Axiom's for over 3 years, the x-ls are better IMHO. I believe the price is now $225. A matching sub is available for around $200. You could start with the monitors and add a sub if you felt you needed it. The build quality is also excellent.

paul_pci
08-11-2006, 03:24 PM

After that, bought new amp & cd player, both Rotel, and the difference between them and my old set up is breathtaking.

Next upgrade will be my cables: going to settle for the Nordost Blue Heaven, to bi-wire my speakers. This will happen within the next months.

Then next year, going to buy house, then at the same time, going to buy a Pioneer 50" plasma tv, another set off B&W DM 604 S3, and a center, and a great surround sound amp (don't know yet which one, Mark Levinson, Tag, ...). And that should be it then?

Please don't waste your money on those speaker cables. It's hard to find inexpensive biwireable cables, but you could always conjoin two single strand less expensive cables. Trust me, the difference in sonics, if any, will not be equal to the dollars you will shell out for those cables.

Woochifer
08-11-2006, 05:35 PM

Paul's right. You're looking at almost $600 for a set of 12-foot Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables. That budget can be much better served in other areas, for example, addressing issues you might have with your room acoustics.

In your room, if you have nothing but bare walls behind your speakers and along the sidewalls, the sound will reflect at almost full amplitude, but with different frequencies reflected stronger than others. This creates both time domain distortions and frequency response shifts that degrade the sound quality coming out of your speakers. Room treatments like acoustic absorption panels across the front wall and at reflection points along the side wall can produce clearly audible and measurable improvements. Speaker cable upgrades on the other hand generally do not produce any measureable changes to the frequency response or time domain, so they are ineffective at addressing one of the most critical problems in any system.

Something as simple as a $16 box of eight 2'x4' acoustic drop ceiling panels or an $80 box of eight 2'x4' rigid fiberboards, can noticeably improve the imaging and even out the tonal response. Lots of other products on the market that you can use to tame any acoustical issues posed by your room. Here's an article that shows some approaches and products you can use.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-acoustic-treatment-methods-and-materials-12-2004-part-1.html

Depending on the size and configuration of your room, a set of tubular bass traps can also work wonders for your bass response by reducing the magnitude of low frequency interactions that create boominess and bass cancellations at different frequencies. Tube traps generally cost around $300 each, which is half of what those Nordost speaker cables cost. Cabling is a piss poor value/performance proposition, room acoustics improvements are second only to the speakers in the magnitude of sound improvement that can result.

If you're looking to make the upgrade over to surround, there are many cost effective options you can go with short of an expensive high end Mark Levinson or TAG McLaren setup. I would suggest a more incremental approach if you plan to stick with the B&W 600 series. A high end processor setup is probably overkill for those speakers, because they are relatively easy to drive and won't overtax a receiver. Rotel makes fine home theater receivers, and there are plenty of other decent home theater separates from the likes of Rotel, NAD, Anthem, Outlaw Audio, and Arcam that don't approach the stratospheric pricing of the Mark Levinson and TAG McLaren units.

An alternative approach would be to get a good mass market home theater receiver (Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, NAD, Pioneer Elite, etc.) and hook your Rotel amp up to the L/R channels while the receiver handles the C/LS/RS channels. This will allow you to focus your budget more towards the speakers rather than having to shell out so much money up front just for the processor and amp. And for your surround setup, I would keep the DM604s up front, and use a set of either DM601s or DM602s as your surround speakers. In general, you want to elevate the surround speakers at least 1' above ear level, and that's hard to do with a floorstanding tower speaker. A surround speaker closer to ear level might work well with some multichannel music, but it's less effective with most movie soundtracks that rely on ambient and spatial cues.

lomarica
08-12-2006, 07:54 AM
this speaker new is above your price range they list for $400 each but I highly recommend them and you might be able to get a demo pair at a good price. Or just spend the extra $$ you will have these speakers for a long time and a couple hundred is well worth it. I know easy for me to say when it is not my money

look for my studio 20 review under the speaker area

good luck