new system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new system

Steelman
01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I am new to the home theater arena. I went to local hi-fi store and listened to several floor standing speakers. My room is 30ft x18ft with 12ft high cathedral ceiling. I watch a lot of movies while my wife likes to listen to music Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow etc. I am considering a pioneer VSX72TXV 7.1 receiver, def tech bp7006s for the front, clr 2300 for center, and bp2 for surrounds. The whole system will cost about $3500 which is slightly beyond my budget but I will stretch if necessary. I would welcome any advice or suggestions. I should add that the 3500k includes wiring, cable surge protectors, etc. The reciever is $1080 and the speakers are $1900 for the package.

paul_pci
01-23-2006, 09:17 PM
You probably don't need to spend that much on a receiver and could probably do just as well (meaning probably wouldn't notice the difference) with a $5-700 receiver. Also, have you auditioned other speakers? With that kind of budget, I'm sure there are other brands to consider, not that there's anything wrong with def tech.

L.J.
01-24-2006, 07:27 AM
I agree with paul, if you must change something, drop down to a less expensive recv. If your wife is the music lover, than make sure she comes along with her favorite CD's while auditioning speakers. Once you find speakers that you absolutely love, get em. There are lots to choose from, so have fun listenin'.

Eric Z
01-24-2006, 07:39 AM
great points by paul and lj! when you're spending a decent amount on speakers, be sure to listen to a lot of different brands. i happen to really enjoy def tech speakers, but if i was going to spend that money, i would like to at least a handful of other brands. you never know, maybe you'll find something you like just as much or better for cheaper.

good luck and let us know what you decide.

bfalls
01-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Since you are purchasing quality gear, I agree with the others you should have your wife involved in the speaker purchase. What sounds good for home theater doesn't always sond good for music and vice versa. With the Def Techs being a bipolar design just makes the reasoning more sound (no pun intended).

Half the fun for me when buying more gear was the search and demos. My wife and I would always play "good spouse, bad spouse" trying to get the salesman to cut a little off the price. It always worked pretty well. Before we left we'd ask if the price was the best they could do and should buy elsewhere if offered a better price. If they told us to talk to them first we knew we could do some "dealing". It never hurts to ask.

I'm not a big Pioneer fan when it comes to receivers, but many on this site are. I try to stay with either Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo for mid-fi. For a step up I look at the B&Ks, Rotel, etc.. I can't really afford the high-end Krells, Lexicon, etc.. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Pioneer had used ICs as outputs where the three I mentioned above use discrete components. I think discrete outputs sound better, dissipate heat better and are less costly to repair/replace. But like I said, it's been awhile since I read about Pioneer, although I do like their video gear.

Steelman
01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Since you are purchasing quality gear, I agree with the others you should have your wife involved in the speaker purchase. What sounds good for home theater doesn't always sond good for music and vice versa. With the Def Techs being a bipolar design just makes the reasoning more sound (no pun intended).

Half the fun for me when buying more gear was the search and demos. My wife and I would always play "good spouse, bad spouse" trying to get the salesman to cut a little off the price. It always worked pretty well. Before we left we'd ask if the price was the best they could do and should buy elsewhere if offered a better price. If they told us to talk to them first we knew we could do some "dealing". It never hurts to ask.

I'm not a big Pioneer fan when it comes to receivers, but many on this site are. I try to stay with either Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo for mid-fi. For a step up I look at the B&Ks, Rotel, etc.. I can't really afford the high-end Krells, Lexicon, etc.. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Pioneer had used ICs as outputs where the three I mentioned above use discrete components. I think discrete outputs sound better, dissipate heat better and are less costly to repair/replace. But like I said, it's been awhile since I read about Pioneer, although I do like their video gear.

Thank you for all the advice. I have listened to other speakers including infinity, paradigm, polk. I would like to listen to other speakers but I am having a hard time finding hi-fi stores in the Cleveland area that carry a variety of speakers. Probaly just ignorance on my part. I saw an ad for the pioneer receiver on avperfection.com for $849. What are the pros and cons of buying receivers and/or speakers online so long as you have heard them in person. Other than supporting your local business of course.

paul_pci
01-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I have listened to other speakers including infinity, paradigm, polk. I would like to listen to other speakers but I am having a hard time finding hi-fi stores in the Cleveland area that carry a variety of speakers. Probaly just ignorance on my part. I saw an ad for the pioneer receiver on avperfection.com for $849. What are the pros and cons of buying receivers and/or speakers online so long as you have heard them in person. Other than supporting your local business of course.

Finding speakers: One strategy is to go the speaker manufacturers website and click on the dealer locater link (they all typically have such a link).

Online dealers: use common sense over frugality. We here believe it's important to support local dealers, but if you want to make an online purchase make sure it's an authorized dealer, they offer a reasonable return policy, etc.

westcott
01-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I am new to the home theater arena. I went to local hi-fi store and listened to several floor standing speakers. My room is 30ft x18ft with 12ft high cathedral ceiling. I watch a lot of movies while my wife likes to listen to music Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow etc. I am considering a pioneer VSX72TXV 7.1 receiver, def tech bp7006s for the front, clr 2300 for center, and bp2 for surrounds. The whole system will cost about $3500 which is slightly beyond my budget but I will stretch if necessary. I would welcome any advice or suggestions. I should add that the 3500k includes wiring, cable surge protectors, etc. The reciever is $1080 and the speakers are $1900 for the package.

I think everyone here has offered sound advice. Good Speakers tend to stay with us long after the receiver and other components have come and gone. Put as much money as you can possibly stand into your speakers. A 4 or 5 to 1 cost ratio is a good rule of thumb. :cool:

Some may even advise waiting on the rear surrounds until your wallet recovers. Quality over quantity, as my father would say.

Good Luck, take your time, and have fun. Auditioning speakers and receivers can be the funnest part of the whole process!!!