where to buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : where to buy?

dystrother
01-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Hello All

wheres the best place to buy home audio equipment. I heard dont buy speakers unless you've heard what they sound like but, the internet seems a lto cheaper. Im looking for either a Onkyo TX-SR503 (i found a refurbished one on eCOST.com for around 170) or a Pioneer VSX-815(the best i found for this was like 235). Refurbished receivers dont bother me but I want to buy new speakers. Wheres the best place for speaker? Thanks

markw
01-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Whereever they will allow you to return them if you don't like them. I've had good luck with http://www.audioadvisor.com. I would assume (hope!) that any "web only" speaker manufacturer would be accomodating in thisarea also.

L.J.
01-23-2006, 02:34 PM
You can also try crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KpaY0gkSdwZ/cgi-bin/SuperProdGroup.asp?g=11999&cc=01&wm=tn). I've been buying all sorts of products from them for years with no problems what so ever. I ordered some speakers to audition from audioadvisor last week so I'll see how that goes, but like mark suggested, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

dystrother
01-23-2006, 03:53 PM
ok, are those the best prices too? or can i find a refurbished receiver somewhere else for 50 bucks less. I have about a 500 dollar budget so if i can save 50 bucks on a receiver, i can put 50 more dollars into speakers

L.J.
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Not sure about that. Each manuf. has a list of authorized dealers on their websites. If you go outside those dealers, the manuf. may not hold to the warranty. The 50 diff.may not be worth it in the long run.

Woochifer
01-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Why not just look for a local retail store if you're shopping for speakers? Speakers are the most iffy product to buy over the internet because preferences are so subjective. Whatever you do, don't shop for a bargain first. Find the speaker that best meets your needs, then negotiate the best price for it. And in all fairness, don't just audition the gear at a store, and then turn around and buy it online so you can save a few dollars. At least give the store an opportunity to match a lower price. And if you look closer, you might find that an online bargain price has more strings attached than you might think.

Most of the better specialty speakers on the market are not available by mail order/online. And if you do find them online, the vendors are usually not authorized. Going with an unauthorized vendor will usually invalidate the warranty. In almost all cases where you see an online price that's much lower than what others charge, it comes from an unauthorized vendor.

dystrother
01-23-2006, 05:21 PM
much thanks to all