Up Grade Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Up Grade Question

Mikereyno
01-18-2004, 05:08 PM
I am looking to up grade my HT system which currently utilizes a Yamaha RX V592. I am thinking of going to the Yamaha RX-V1400 and also updating my DVD from a Toshiba SD-1600 to a Denon DVD 1600. My question concerns my speaker set up. Currently my fron speakers are Klipsch 1W-150 in-wall speakers for my front speakers and and Klipsch KSB1.1s for my rear speakers. If I go to the Yamaha RX-V1400 I will need to add two new surround speakers. Due to the set up of the room where I have my HT, I need to figure where to place these two new speakers. Has anyone put the surround speakers in the ceiling? Is this an option? Any suggestions as to what speakers to consider if this is an option? Thanks!

mtrycraft
01-18-2004, 06:25 PM
I am looking to up grade my HT system which currently utilizes a Yamaha RX V592. I am thinking of going to the Yamaha RX-V1400 and also updating my DVD from a Toshiba SD-1600 to a Denon DVD 1600. My question concerns my speaker set up. Currently my fron speakers are Klipsch 1W-150 in-wall speakers for my front speakers and and Klipsch KSB1.1s for my rear speakers. If I go to the Yamaha RX-V1400 I will need to add two new surround speakers. Due to the set up of the room where I have my HT, I need to figure where to place these two new speakers. Has anyone put the surround speakers in the ceiling? Is this an option? Any suggestions as to what speakers to consider if this is an option? Thanks!

Ceiling mount for HT is not an option if you are serious about sound quality.
Are you upgrading to expand the rear channel capability to 6.1? In that setup you should have one or two rear center speakers on the rear wall and the rear surrounds on the side walls. If you cannot do this, I would not recomment an upgrade to 6.1

TinHere
01-18-2004, 07:31 PM

If you did want to upgrade your system the IMHO the 1400 is a real good receiver/value. It will play what you hook up to it, and allow for different configurations. Sorry to say I don't see any real advantages to the upgrade you are thinking about unless you plan to get bookshelves or floorstanders or satellite speakers with a center channel in near future. If the rears had to go in the ceiling it wouldn't be ideal, but with a solid front they would allow for the effects. If you not going to change your front speakers and want to get 5.1 you can get a receiver for less money that will do what you need it to. Also, if you want the HT experience don't forget a subwoofer.

If you have a budget and can get the speakers out of the ceiling people can help you spend the money.

Mikereyno
01-18-2004, 07:49 PM
If you did want to upgrade your system the IMHO the 1400 is a real good receiver/value. It will play what you hook up to it, and allow for different configurations. Sorry to say I don't see any real advantages to the upgrade you are thinking about unless you plan to get bookshelves or floorstanders or satellite speakers with a center channel in near future. If the rears had to go in the ceiling it wouldn't be ideal, but with a solid front they would allow for the effects. If you not going to change your front speakers and want to get 5.1 you can get a receiver for less money that will do what you need it to. Also, if you want the HT experience don't forget a subwoofer.

If you have a budget and can get the speakers out of the ceiling people can help you spend the money.

Right now my set up includes the follwing:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V592
Front speakers: Klipsch In-wall 1W-150s
Center Speaker: Klipsch KV-1
Sub Woofer: Mirage PS-10
Rear Speakers: Klipsch KSB1.1s
DVD: Toshiba SD-1600

My room is set up that I do not have a lot of flexibility to place speakers to the right or left )open space where placement of speakers would be awkward.

The driving force here was really to upgrade to better DVD and while at it to upgrade Receiver from existing 5.1 system (although from posts that may not be advisable??). Would I just be better off adding only the upgraded DVD?

Mike

TinHere
01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Right now my set up includes the follwing:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V592
Front speakers: Klipsch In-wall 1W-150s
Center Speaker: Klipsch KV-1
Sub Woofer: Mirage PS-10
Rear Speakers: Klipsch KSB1.1s
DVD: Toshiba SD-1600

My room is set up that I do not have a lot of flexibility to place speakers to the right or left )open space where placement of speakers would be awkward.

The driving force here was really to upgrade to better DVD and while at it to upgrade Receiver from existing 5.1 system (although from posts that may not be advisable??). Would I just be better off adding only the upgraded DVD?

Mike

A new receiver with DD and DTS and DPLII would be a good thing. As far as awkward for placement goes, keep in mind this is an audio site, and the goal is to get the best sound possible. If awkward doesn't mean impossible you can build a system using little space that should give you a substantially better sound than front speakers in the ceiling can. If you just switched and used the KSB-1's in the front I think you would have much better sound and be able to have an actual soundstage. If you can, just set them up in the front with a little toe-in and at ear level or pointed toward where you sit and give it a listen after you disconnect the in-wall speakers. You should hear a difference and notice if the sound now relates more to the action on the screen and has a depth that I think would be missing having the speakers in the wall.

What is it about the DVD player you don't like? Does it not have something you want? What will make it "better?" I'm really not saying not to spend money, I just think that there should be an advantage to it that you want and not just a lateral move. If you said you wanted to add multi-channel music [sacd/dvd-audio] to the mix I would suggest looking at the Pioneer 563A universal player.

Mikereyno
01-20-2004, 06:03 PM
My overriding goal was to upgrade my DVD to a progressive scan unit (because I wanted to move the Toshiba DVD to a lesser set-up in another room in the house). Doing that, I also thought it would be worthwhile upgrading my 592 (which has worked very well for me for nearly seven years) to a digital unit.

Is this worth the expense of going to a set-up that would bring in the Yamaha RX-V1400 and the Denon DVD 1600? Would I get a noticable improvement? When I got the 592 seven years ago it was without any thoughts of eventually getting a DVD (I know, very short-sighted on my part and I've learned the error of my ways). A vew years later I did purchase the Toshiba DVD and then a year and a half ago purchased a Sony KV36XBR450.

Thanks

Thanks

F1
01-20-2004, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=...... A vew years later I did purchase the Toshiba DVD and then a year and a half ago purchased a Sony KV36XBR450.
Thanks
Thanks[/QUOTE]

If your Sony TV support progressive scan, then upgrading DVD player is a big improvement. But if your Sony TV does not support progressive scan, then progressive scan DVD does not help improving the picture. As for new receiver, it is definitely improvement as far as surround processing is concerned, but sound (stereo) performance should be about the same as the older models. Good luck.

kfalls
01-21-2004, 05:26 AM
If I remember correctly, the two additional channels on the RX-V1400 are front effects channels. I have the RX-V2095 which has the same speaker configuration and although the front effects provide good "fill" I don't believe they are necessary. I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but this receiver has the option to assign these speakers to a second zone. I also believe it has the option to use a second source for this zone so you can listen to something different while your 5.1 system is playing in another room.