are there lenght problems associated with HDMI cable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : are there lenght problems associated with HDMI cable?

AVMASTER
01-22-2006, 01:55 PM
are there lenght problems associated with HDMI cable? I'm upgrading a customers' CRT projector with digital projector, a conduit is in place but the run is over 40', i could do mini-coax but i'd like to give him the best video possible.

edtyct
01-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, length becomes a problem at about 20 ft, if not less. You'll certainly need something like a Fefen HDMI extender. Street prices start at a little less than $200. You can also go optical, but it will be expensive.

mille162
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I just spent an entire day at CES trying to determine the same thing. HDMI is about 40ft until there's signal problems (according to multiple vendors making custom cables). DVI-D is the same.

I did find a good solution though (needed to run 50'-75' cables at random for temp. projector set-ups at meetings), there were a few companies making a convertor for $200. You've got a box on either end that has a CAT5 cable connecting the two. Cable can be run up to 500' before needing an amplifier.

If you have to run HDMI, one company was selling a cable tester which was highly recommended for in-wall installations. I heard stories from several vendors about the fragility of these cables. Also, there was one company about to release an HDMI amplifier that allowed you to take their 30' cable (which they claimed was the longest possible) and double it to 60'.

If anyone is interested in the company names, I can dig through the brochures at my office and post them.

westcott
01-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Blue Jean Cables tests their cables to 50' without any signal degradation.

Give them a call. I am sure they will allow you to return it if you are not satisfied.

I ran mine 35 feet without any problems.

mille162
01-25-2006, 11:17 AM
from http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp:

"Does HDMI accommodate long cable lengths?
Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. Cable manufacturers are expected to sell reasonably priced copper cables at lengths of up to 15 meters. As semiconductor technology improves, even longer stretches can be reached with fiber optic cables, and with active cable technologies such as amplifiers or repeaters"

edtyct
01-25-2006, 11:37 AM
HDMI technology was designed to be more robust than DVI, but in practice it hasn't always been the case. Judging from the above posts, experiences vary. But the signal amplifiers are there for those who need them. Some switches amplify the signal as well.