Uh-Oh, Toshiba 51H84 Making Popping Sounds... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh, Toshiba 51H84 Making Popping Sounds...

Defshep
01-22-2006, 12:17 PM
So, I'm really loving my new t.v. I bought the Toshiba 51H84, even though I had seen some scary reviews about incidents with the set popping, with the picture dropping out for a fraction of a second.This was within days or weeks of purchase. A couple of people said that, finally, it didn't come back on at all. Wasn't too worried, as many different RPTVs get bad write ups for different reasons, and there's always the possibility of buying a lemon.
Well, It happened to me the first week, and I just blamed on bad cable reception. Today, for the first time, it happened while watching a DVD. I've had it for a little over two weeks! I do have a two year service plan, which means it will sit in a selected repair shop for an uncertain amount of time. Rex (the dealer i bought it from) doesn't have an in-house service department. My question is, do I take it back for another? Is it too late to do it? Or do I just wait and see, cross my fingers, and hope it keeps chugging along?

edtyct
01-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Do not cross your fingers and chug along. TVs never correct problems by themselves; they only get worse. Tell Rex that the popping has begun and that the problem with it is well documented. He may know, but it's more important that he knows that you know. Ask for another TV. It's only been two weeks.

Defshep
01-23-2006, 01:38 AM
After the "pop", the volume apparently went out. I didn't notice it until last night. I'm going in today. Found out yesterday the return policy is seven days! The general manager of this location is also the district manager, so I may be in luck. I'm gonna try to trade up for the comparable Hitachi.

Eric Z
01-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm interested to hear about what Rex does. The 7 day return policy is a joke! I really hope you're taking care of by this store- if not, just keep on escalating the issue!

Let us know what happens.

Good luck!
Eric

bfalls
01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I had similar symptoms with my Pioneer Elite Pro-100 a few years ago. The video and sound would flicker/go away intermittently. Of course, it was past the warranty period, so I had to have it repaired.

The problem was with a transformer in the high-voltage p[ower supply. Apparently heat and vibration caused the soldered pins to break connection either via vibration or changes in temperature. Also because of the heat build-up caused by the increased resistance at the connection points, one of the PC board's runs had burned requiring a "hard-wire" replacement. Because it was an RPTV the repair required a minimum onsite fee of $180. Although the repair tech was able to repair it, I don't believe he was familiar with Pioneer's Elite line since he began by removing the rear portion of the top where the mirror was mounted instead of just removing the lower front panel to access the electronics. It took him three hours, most of which was replacing the mirror unit. Of course I was charged for the time. Final cost was $250, but it was the only problem I had before giving the TV away almost two years ago.

Defshep
01-24-2006, 01:46 AM
Well, they're gonna try to have the set repaired. The store manager told me it would be taken care of, and we'd go from there. He said the manufacturers have gotten more difficult to deal with over the last couple of years. Had it been a year ago, he said he'd have just replaced it. I've dealt with him several times, and I think he's a good guy. We'll see what happens from here. Thank God I bought it locally.