ADVICE on Cleaning 1970s MARANTZ receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE on Cleaning 1970s MARANTZ receivers

mrsmithster
01-22-2006, 07:39 AM
i have a marantz 2238B receiver from the late 70s. great condition, but the pots and switches are a bit dirty/scratchy. anybody cleaned one of these older marantz units up before? any advise on what cleaner to use (deoxit/pro gold, contact cleaner, wd-40)? also, how about just a general inside cleaning using low pressure air blow out? or maybe i should just take it to someone that knows what they are doing? i have the owners manual and the service manual, just that i dont know much about electronics. everything works fine, all lights and needles fine, sounds very good, just needs a cleaning after 28 years. thanks for any advise

pelly3s
01-22-2006, 09:36 AM
blow the unit out with compressed air, then brush away any remaining dust then use a good contact cleaner on the pots and work them back and forth then lube them with a product called MCL (moving contact lubricant)

natlus
01-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Do you know about www.classic-audio.com? Definitely for Marantz-heads, and especially check the tips section, which has detailed instructions for cleaning, both for audiophiles and for newbies, like me. Also has links to professional cleaners and repair. Good luck and would like to hear how things go, since I'll be cleaning and combining parts with two 3320's in the near future.