6.1 Reciever, 5.1 speakers! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 6.1 Reciever, 5.1 speakers!

JohnBee
01-21-2006, 11:51 PM
I have a 6.1 reciever but only 5.1 speakers. What media will I see a difference with? Is it only DTS 6.1 DVD disks. What about SACD.DVD-A....will the 6th channel just be blocked out? Thanks for your time.

markw
01-22-2006, 05:25 AM
I have a 6.1 reciever but only 5.1 speakers. What media will I see a difference with? Is it only DTS 6.1 DVD disks. What about SACD.DVD-A....will the 6th channel just be blocked out? Thanks for your time.You can set your receiver to only recognize only the five speakers. Then, the movies that (rarely) used that sixth channel will have that information sent equally to the other two surrounds. You won't miss a thing.

I wasn't aware that SACD and DVD-Audio used the sixth channel so I can't coment on that.

shokhead
01-22-2006, 06:43 AM
He might think 6 analogs and 6.1 instead of L<C<R<S<S<Sub?
I've got one DVD thats DTS ES out of 50 and that was in the 9.99 bin at BB.

markw
01-22-2006, 10:35 AM
I've got one DVD thats DTS ES out of 50 and that was in the 9.99 bin at BB.Is that a DVD (movie) or a DVD-Audio (music) disc?

Again, I wasn't aware that these Hi Rez formats supported six channels plus a subwoofer.

westcott
01-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a 6.1 reciever but only 5.1 speakers. What media will I see a difference with? Is it only DTS 6.1 DVD disks. What about SACD.DVD-A....will the 6th channel just be blocked out? Thanks for your time.

Since the specification for DVD Audio and SACD came out of the movie industry, they support six FULL range signals and may not have a dedicated LFE channel.

This can be very bad for your subwoofer to send full range signals to it so be very careful with SACD and DVD Audio unless you really know what you are doing or only use these players without a sub, with full range speakers, or in 2 or 3 channel mode only. :cool:

shokhead
01-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Is that a DVD (movie) or a DVD-Audio (music) disc?

Again, I wasn't aware that these Hi Rez formats supported six channels plus a subwoofer.

Stargate DTS ES

JohnBee
01-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Well what do you think...Should I watch on eBay for a matching rear speaker to make my system a 6.1.

I currently have the following setup...

Front: Mirage Omni 60
Center: Omnisat Micro
Rear: Mirage Omni 50
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR502
DVD-Audio/SACD: Pioneer DV-578A

Woochifer
01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Well what do you think...Should I watch on eBay for a matching rear speaker to make my system a 6.1.

I currently have the following setup...

Front: Mirage Omni 60
Center: Omnisat Micro
Rear: Mirage Omni 50
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR502
DVD-Audio/SACD: Pioneer DV-578A

Use the back surround speaker ONLY if you got enough space behind your seating position. If your sofa is pushed against the backwall, then forget about 6.1 and focus more on optimizing the positioning and setup parameters for your 5.1 setup.

Woochifer
01-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Since the specification for DVD Audio and SACD came out of the movie industry, they support six FULL range signals and may not have a dedicated LFE channel.

This can be very bad for your subwoofer to send full range signals to it so be very careful with SACD and DVD Audio unless you really know what you are doing or only use these players without a sub, with full range speakers, or in 2 or 3 channel mode only. :cool:

The speaker placement diagram included with SACD players and a lot of SACD discs is the ITU-775 multichannel reference speaker alignment. It's actually a standard studio monitoring alignment for multichannel music, since movies are typically mixed on dubbing stages using surround arrays. (see below)

http://www.soundstage.com/surrounded/pics/200307_itu.gif

Aside from Chesky's 2/4/6 DVD-A discs (which include a 6.0 track that substitutes high mounted effect channels for the center and subwoofer inputs, and includes plenty of instructions and warnings about how the speakers and channels should be aligned and assigned), I don't know of any DVD-A or SACD discs that send full range signal content into the subwoofer channel. In fact, a lot of multichannel music mixes (classical music in particular) don't use the subwoofer channel at all.

Just because the format allows for six full range channels does not mean that they will ALL be utilized at full range. It's all at the discretion of the recording engineer how all of the channels are actually used, and I don't know of any that would purposely send a full range signal into a subwoofer channel.

And as discussed in another thread, most of the DVD-A, SACD, and universal players on the market now include some form of bass management, so it doesn't require being anymore careful than using the bass management settings on a HT receiver.

Geoffcin
01-22-2006, 05:15 PM

I ALWAYS send my subs a full range signal and I have never damaged them. Subs are designed with bandpass filters so they do not attemp to produce a full range signal.

caniac
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes, I have my subwoofer hooked up to the L/R preamp jacks and no problems here either. Unless your sub is really old, it probably has a upper range limit built in.

Hawkeye
01-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Is that a DVD (movie) or a DVD-Audio (music) disc?

Sheryl Crow's 'Globe Sessions' has a DTS-ES 6.1 layer. There may be others as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avsoftware/dvd-audio/SherylCrowGlobeSessions.php

Woochifer
01-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Sheryl Crow's 'Globe Sessions' has a DTS-ES 6.1 layer. There may be others as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avsoftware/dvd-audio/SherylCrowGlobeSessions.php

FYI, DTS-ES 6.1 is NOT a true high res format because it's still compressed.

Hawkeye
01-23-2006, 09:49 AM
FYI, DTS-ES 6.1 is NOT a true high res format because it's still compressed.
I do understand that. I should have aimed that at the original poster as an example of a 6.1 audio surround disk, regardless of format, that can be played as 5.1 - as I do with this disc. As far as I know, there are very few 6.1 audio discs. Of those that are (6.1), I'm not aware of any that are in DVD-A or SACD format.

markw
01-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I do understand that. I should have aimed that at the original poster as an example of a 6.1 audio surround disk, regardless of format, that can be played as 5.1 - as I do with this disc. As far as I know, there are very few 6.1 audio discs. Of those that are (6.1), I'm not aware of any that are in DVD-A or SACD format.... and both examples, yours and Shoks, are really "movie" DVD's, it simply reinforces my original statement that there are no 6.1 hi rez available, no?

shokhead
01-23-2006, 01:34 PM
No 6.1 SACD or DVD-A that i know of.