Mirage Omnisat V2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mirage Omnisat V2

fishnugget
01-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Can anyone tell me their experience with this floorstanding. I need a very thin stylish speaker. Can it give decent sound to a 14*18 room? Compared to orb?

eisforelectronic
01-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Can anyone tell me their experience with this floorstanding. I need a very thin stylish speaker. Can it give decent sound to a 14*18 room? Compared to orb?

I was strongly considering this speaker for a while. Basically the visual styling of the speaker looked like it would fit my home as well as my size requirements. I always liked the original Mirage Omnisat and I thought the V2 would be a nice evolution. The sound was decent with reasonable accuracy and soundstaging. By no means would I consider the V2's to be a bad speaker. However, I did feel they lacked a certain amount of life that I've come to expect from my Totems and other speakers of similar standing. Music should be emotional and I didn't think the V2's were quite at that level. I don't think your room size will be a problem for the V2, although I would think about a better sub than the mirage.

Feanor
01-23-2006, 05:43 AM
The Mirage have an unusually design that can be very useful undersome circumstances. Mirage call them "omnipolar": basically almost omindirectional but weighted in one particular direction in the interest of better imaging.

If you have the circumstance where you need very wide dispersion, ominidirectional can be great. Many years ago I had a pair of Ohm F Walsh driver speakers that were true omnidirectionals, so I know. But as with any bidpolar or dipolar driver, it is important to keep the speaker 3 feet of more from the front wall; omnidirectionals and "omnipolars" should preferably be kept 3 feet or more from the side walls too. All this is in the interest of clean sound and good stereo imaging. The fact that the Mirage output more sound at the front, (i.e. in the direction of the main listening position), is helpful in this regard, but nevertheless they should not be put close to walls.