Arctic Monkeys... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monkeys...

audiobill
01-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Anyone heard any info about this band??

I just finished listening to 4 samples from their upcoming CD (not, yet, released) and they sound damn good. The few song samples I heard remind me of the Strokes meet the White Stripes. Any more info. is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

audiobill

Jim Clark
01-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Anyone heard any info about this band??

I just finished listening to 4 samples from their upcoming CD (not, yet, released) and they sound damn good. The few song samples I heard remind me of the Strokes meet the White Stripes. Any more info. is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

audiobill

Bill, I just listened to them this morning. I've got a couple of boots to give me an introduction. The boot I spun this morning was from an FM broadcast from a show Jan. 17, 2006. Seeing how today is the 21'st, I'd have to say that it was a pretty good turnaround. I think it's going to be getting some hype, not Strokes level hype, but hype none the less. I kinda dig, but haven't really invested too much time into it yet.

Regards,
jc

Mike
01-23-2006, 02:25 AM
The Monkeys are pretty good, I'd say Strokes meets Franz Ferdinand. The album is due out today in the UK but It's already been leaked and hit the internet for downloading.

The vocalist has a pretty good vocal delivery style the songs have plenty of guitar riffs and they write popular catchy stuff. I had an mp3 comp a friend did for me back end of last year but the quality was pretty bad so I never kept it, I suppose most of it will turn up on the album.

They are hyped as this years next big thing but thinking about it they were also hyped as the next big thing in 2005 but kinda hard to do when you don't have an album out. They hit the number one over Christmas with the single Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor. The good thing about them is they've done most of their PR work via word of mouth and over the internet, but I guess it's maybe jumped back and bit them now.

Cheers
Mike

PDK
01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I got the promo single in the fall of 2005- "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" which came in at the top of the singles charts. I really liked it- made my top 40 of 2005 comp- then again Maximo Park was my favorite record last year. On the first couple listens, the backing vocals irritated me but after a few more listens I really embraced it. I think the UK lp release is this week. They sound similar to that which has been all the rage for the past couple years... I think Hardfi, Babyshambles, Maximo Park vein but the Kaisers, Strokes, etc are probably all in their as well. I think you can probably hear it (and read about it) on xfm.co.uk - they were pushing it pretty hard for a while.

audiobill
01-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Jim, Mike, and PDK,

I knew there would be raverecers out there who could help me out with the Arctic Monkeys.

They sound like my cup of tea -- I'll definitely be looking for their release when it's released.

There's a real swagger to their music, from the little I've heard.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

np., Fake Tales From San Francisco

PDK
01-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I ran home during lunch and found 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' in my mailbox along with the new Richard Ashcroft record "Keys to the World"!! I've been listening to Mad Richard all afternoon and think "Keys" is a solid record! I will give the Monkeys their turn before long. If you'd like, I could post some low-quality files for you to evaluate.

Also, if you are in the US looking for new UK releases via mailorder, I heartily recommend Ian Tunstall at changesone.co.uk ...

Swish
01-26-2006, 02:44 PM
all thanks to their innovative marketing approach via the internet. I just read a story about them in my local rag, and you have to admit that the number of sales is quite impressive fomr a band with virtually no following or media hype, or at least none that I've seen.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
I can't believe that Davey hasn't responded to this yet. That thread title has to be a monkey magnet for him. Or, he's posted a response and then deleted it. :rolleyes:

Dusty Chalk
01-27-2006, 06:21 AM
You do know that Davey is not Monkeymen, don't you?

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I still haven't heard this band but I just noticed that they are opening for Oasis.

Davey
02-08-2006, 08:29 PM
You do know that Davey is not Monkeymen, don't you?
Hey, this is one of those audiobill threads and he gets a little mad when you goofballs hijack it with your childish shenanigans. And just for the record, I may have the power and brains and good looks of two men, but I still answer to Monkeyman. All in one package (if you know what I mean).