How much amplification for JBL lx600 speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much amplification for JBL lx600 speakers?

natrix
01-18-2004, 11:19 AM
I recently purchased a used pair of JBL lx 600 speakers and want to know how much amplification would be sufficient to power them. They are specified at 8 ohms with 91db. sensitivity, sounding flat and lacking lower end with my lame onkyo tx-sv343 receiver.
What sort of amplification do I need for these speakers to perform well? Is it possible to keep my existing reciever and supplement amplification with another component, as I don't have much money to spend?
I don't have a rudimentary knowledge regarding the audio world, but do know these speakers should sound better. I would really appreciate any advice that members have to offer. Thanks, Nate

Chris
01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Not a site feeback topic, moved to General Audio forum.

mtrycraft
01-20-2004, 08:42 PM
I recently purchased a used pair of JBL lx 600 speakers and want to know how much amplification would be sufficient to power them. They are specified at 8 ohms with 91db. sensitivity, sounding flat and lacking lower end with my lame onkyo tx-sv343 receiver.
What sort of amplification do I need for these speakers to perform well? Is it possible to keep my existing reciever and supplement amplification with another component, as I don't have much money to spend?
I don't have a rudimentary knowledge regarding the audio world, but do know these speakers should sound better. I would really appreciate any advice that members have to offer. Thanks, Nate

91 dB is fairly sensitive speakers. A 100watt amp should be fine. The low depends on the speakers capability mostly. You may need a sub.

As to sounding flat, it may be your room or music itself?

mtrycraft
01-20-2004, 08:43 PM
I forgot, you may have nonworking tweeters? Do you have a test disc? to check?

F1
01-20-2004, 10:49 PM
91 dB is fairly sensitive speakers. A 100watt amp should be fine. The low depends on the speakers capability mostly. You may need a sub.
As to sounding flat, it may be your room or music itself?

I second Mtry; you need a subwoofer. It makes a big difference for the lower end and reduces the load on the receiver.

robin_v
06-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Most audio equipment is rated in RMS (root mean square) which is the "average" power handling. As a rule of thumb, I usually choose an amplifier with about half of the speaker rating. This gives you quite a bit of headroom and will certainly prolong the life of your speaker drivers or electrostatic grilles.