HT speaker level question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT speaker level question

Dmax
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I went to Radio Shack to buy a SPL meter , after telling the salesperson why I needed it he replied that all surround systems sound best if you just leave the fronts at 0,the surrounds at +6 and the center turned as high as it can go. Is this right ? It cant possibly be that simple right? :confused:

Woochifer
01-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Absolutely not. Was your salesperson named Scott Aruti or DJ Scotty or Lexmark3200 or John Beresford? Because he's the only other person I've seen anyone recommend pumping the channels up to +6 db without even measuring the actual sound level output. That sales guy was either totally high or being very sarcastic with you.

Get the SPL meter, and use the test tones to calibrate your system so that all of the channels are outputing at the same level from the listening position. THAT'S the only advice applicable to making ALL surround systems sound their best. Going with maxout on the center and +6 on the surrounds might work for someone out there, but cannot possibly work for everybody.

GMichael
01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh no! It couldn't be him. Could it? :(

Dmax
01-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I knew he ( Radio Shack salesman) couldnt be correct , im going back and get the SPL meter . Thanx!

GMichael
01-20-2006, 04:49 PM
You mean to say, a Salesman talked you OUT of buying something from him? And he did it with bogus information. Not sure what he was thinking. Maybe it WAS Lex.

L.J.
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
What! How weird. He doesn't need to know the ends and outs of HT, but this man should know the ends and outs of his products.

cam
01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
I went to Radio Shack to buy a SPL meter , after telling the salesperson why I needed it he replied that all surround systems sound best if you just leave the fronts at 0,the surrounds at +6 and the center turned as high as it can go. Is this right ? It cant possibly be that simple right? :confused:If your mains are set to 75 db at your listening position and you like your HT sound on the hot side, then I recommend going with your center and surrounds no more then 2 db higher. Me personally, I set my mains to 75 db and my center and surrounds at 76 db's. Forget about what the + or - of each channel is at. Actual db's at your listening position is what is important. Start at all channels set to 75 db at your listening position (some speaker levels may be +2, +3 or -4), what is important is that the db level from each channel is set at 75 db at your listening position. After that it is a matter of personal taste.

Dmax
01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
If your mains are set to 75 db at your listening position and you like your HT sound on the hot side, then I recommend going with your center and surrounds no more then 2 db higher. Me personally, I set my mains to 75 db and my center and surrounds at 76 db's. Forget about what the + or - of each channel is at. Actual db's at your listening position is what is important. Start at all channels set to 75 db at your listening position (some speaker levels may be +2, +3 or -4), what is important is that the db level from each channel is set at 75 db at your listening position. After that it is a matter of personal taste. Im sorry but I dont quite understand what you mean when you say 75dbs,my receiver volume level goes from 0 to 80, my tone and level adjustments go from 0 to 12.Could you explain it to me a little more?

cam
01-21-2006, 08:33 AM
You need a sound pressure meter to know whether or not that your test tones are level. I was using 75db's as a reference point. Realisticly, you can use any level. No matter what the individual speaker settings are on your receiver, the important part is that they are all the same (loudness) at your seated position. I and most people use 75db's as reference.

audiomadness
01-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree. The sound level from all the speakers should be equalized using an SPL meter in reference to your seating position. The 75 db reference point that Cam mentioned is the actual decibal measurement on the SPL meter(not your receivers volume setting). You can choose whatever decibel reference point to your liking but I believe the Radioshack SPL meter cuts off at around 65dbs so 75 is a good point of reference to adjust your speaker levels and gives you a -10db leeway. Using anything past 80dbs pink noise for reference points can get annoyingly loud.