sad [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sad

Dave_G
01-20-2006, 08:39 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/20/music.rhino.reut/index.html

Troy
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Does this reflect a paradigm shift? Of course, but, if a new study from England's University of Leicester is to be believed, it also reflects a basic difference in the way consumers are looking at music. The school's psychologists noted last week that music had "lost its aura," and was now viewed as simply a commodity.

This is a load of crap. Music has been a comodity since maybe the 60s and certainly the 70s when big business came in and took over. But JUST a comodity? No way. Music will always have that "aura" that all art does.

As much as I hate to see someone's business fail, see the writing on the wall Mr. Record store owner. Time marches on. Business and industry evolves and changes. Imagine how photo lab owners must feel.

The writer shouldn't have used the word obstreperous either.

Finch Platte
01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Could someone explain what "Everybody's like a silo" means? And please don't be obstreperous about it, neither.

Thanks ad invance.

fp

Troy
01-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Don't you go gettin' all obstreperous with me, laddy.

"Everybody's like a silo" clearly means that we are all tall, cylindrical and filled with grain.

What are ya, ig' nint?

Dusty Chalk
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I thought this was going to be a thread about an episode of the comic strip, Pearls Before Swine (http://www.cafepress.com/cp/sotd.aspx?storeid=pearls&date=11/24/2005&getnext=1).

BradH
01-20-2006, 05:47 PM
The school's psychologists noted last week that music had "lost its aura," and was now viewed as simply a commodity.

Psychologist: "How was your mother viewed?"

Music: "I don't remember much, just some dusty old 78's. Dad was a wax cylinder..."

3-LockBox
01-20-2006, 10:36 PM
It just so happens that I've managed to live in two distinctly different regions of the country in my lifetime, Tennessee and Washington state. Although these two states couldn't be more different from one another, there seems to be at least one common thread. Music.

In both states, the radio stations tended to suck. And the music you'd find in the local stores tend to suck, well, at least to me anyway.

I can't find the music I want in the local stores, in either the chain stores or the indy stores (they didn't even seem to be able to source certain titles, nor care that they couldn't).

I don't hear the music I like on the radio either. Yet for some reason I'm supposed to lament the demise of both these worn out institutions. If I could get what I wanted from either of these places, I'd never buy 'on-line'. I no longer have to settle for what a store is willing to provide.

These guys (radio and music stores) flourished back in the day when we relied on an institution to tell us what kind of music we should listen to, but the web changed all of that. Just like one of the guys said in that article. "there's too many different ways of getting music anymore than paying $18 for it in a store". Precisely.

Hey, no one is willing to pay an extra 10 or 15 cents per gallon of gas to have some dude wash windows and check the oil and pump the gas for you (except in frikkin Oregon).

We didn't always just walk into a grocery store and pick up our own food, the grocer used to do that. Nowadays, we don't even have to use a teller.

Even the soft drinks in most fast food chains are self serve anymore. Things change.

Record store owners didn't adapt to a situation they should have seen coming 5 or 6 years ago. Even the big retail chains are hedging their bets with extensive online shopping and services. And local radio is a joke anymore. My local classic rock station and the adult contemporary station are just pure dreck. Their program directors want to operate a radio station by recycling the same hundred or so songs over and over again, for decades. They are formatting themselves to death, and they wonder why their listenership continues to dip and they can't sell commercial airtime.

Adapt or die.

Mr Peabody
01-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Amen, 3LB, preach on, I'm with you.

I hate to see 869 stores go down, that's a big economic disaster but store like Musicland and Sam Goody are going first because who buys music in the mall all the kids who are using Ipods now and downloading music, so, no one's, buying music in the mall. Personally I'd do without before paying mall prices for music.

I give the programmers in my area hell but it's like fighting windmills. Either they are taking pay offs or lazier than the dog on the Beverly Hillbillies. Either way the bottomline is radio sucks. The programmers keep saying that the average person only listens 20 minutes at a time and they play songs that will be recognized. Well there are several arguments to that logic, how did the songs they now play get recognized in the first place, even with 20 minute intervals you'd have to be a moron not to get tired of the repetitiveness. We have one station now that shook things up some but not for long, they play "whatever we want" which means they may play Rubberband Man and then break into Creed's You Can Take Me Higher. This wouldn't be so bad except they are too extreme. I may be listening to a good song on that station and after that one they may play Neil Sedaka or some disco song that embarrasses you to have on your radio. But when they hit town I thought the variety thing may catch on. It has to some extent on the more middle of the road stations but it hasn't done much for the rock stations but of course all of those are owned by one corporation. Hi Emmis, you suck!