What genre is now D.O.A. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What genre is now D.O.A.

Worf101
01-19-2006, 06:28 AM
Movie Genre's go in and out of vogue all the time. Western's used to always be in fashion but they've faded as have war movies etc... What genre do you feel is the deadest right now and why? Enquiring minds wanna know.

Da Worfster :D

kexodusc
01-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Think you've stolen most of our thunder already, I can't remember the last real good Western that was made.
Don't see many good mystery movies anymore, not in the typical sleuth/detective style anyway, but then I guess there's only so much one could do with that formula.
I'm surprised nobody's brougth Sherlock Holmes to the big screen in the new millenium.

As a kid, I always enjoyed those Disney "Swiss Family Robinson" type movies they use to do...Davey Crockett, Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, etc...seems nowadays a movie has to have lasers or Goblins for kids to get into... I think Goonies was the last real family adventure movie that was G rated and not animated...

topspeed
01-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Musicals: Resurrected - unfortunately, Chicago and Moulin Rouge have proven there are still legs in this dead horse (didn't want to see either)

Westerns: On Life Support - What? Brokeback Mountain isn't a Western :p? Open Range was a great western, but based on the box office returns apparently I was the only one that thought so :(

Sword & Sorcery: The Current 1000 Gorilla - can you say Harry Potter? How 'bout Gandolf?

Detective Movies: Down with the Flu - there are detective movies every year (Freedomland) ...they just suck.

Sand & Sandles: Bloodied, but still swingin' - Too many half-a$$ed attempts (Troy, Alexander) riding the coattails of Gladiator still.

Disaster Flicks: You're kidding, right?

WWII Flicks: Dead and buried - Pearl Harbor effectively nailed the coffin closed. Now everything is Desert Storm (Jarhead)

Big Budget Sci-Fi: Hangin' with hotties on Broadway - King Kong may not have blasters, but he is definitely sci-fi. Besides, the winning lottery ticket otherwise known as merchandising will always keep some kind of sci-fi flick in the theater some time, some where.

If you ask me, the one genre that should be on your poll is "Good, Original Movie". Hollywood is putting out crap these days. It's all sequels, comic book characters, or bad TV shows from the '70's. They don't all have to be Crash, but some originality would be a refreshing change.

Smokey
01-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Movie Musicals - Was "Phantom of the Opera" the final nail in this coffin?

No, it probably was Evita starring Madonna :)

Worf101
01-19-2006, 01:01 PM
If you ask me, the one genre that should be on your poll is "Good, Original Movie". Hollywood is putting out crap these days. It's all sequels, comic book characters, or bad TV shows from the '70's. They don't all have to be Crash, but some originality would be a refreshing change.

Man, truer words were never spoken... Damn you're sooo right. Gold Star for Top Speed.

Da Worfster.
:rolleyes:

GMichael
01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Man, truer words were never spoken... Damn you're sooo right. Gold Star for Top Speed.

Da Worfster.
:rolleyes:

Worfy, you keep leaving off the winners. What's up with that? Are you slipping?

dean_martin
01-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Don't see many good mystery movies anymore, not in the typical sleuth/detective style anyway, but then I guess there's only so much one could do with that formula.
I'm surprised nobody's brougth Sherlock Holmes to the big screen in the new millenium.

I'm waiting for Tarantino's homage to the Italian Giallo. The genre's boundaries weren't clearly defined, but there were some common elements - you can't always believe what you see (or think you see), trench coat adorned killer in the shadows often with some kind of cool mask or designer sunglasses, style, camp (hot babes), psychoanalysis, detection and breath taking scenery and backdrops.

Here's by no means an exhaustive treatise, but a synopsis of these common elements as well as a little history on the giallo.

http://www.kinoeye.org/02/11/needham11.php

For the most part, I think Tarantino could pull it off. He's certainly dedicated to authenticity, but I can't recall any epic-like shots from his films. As the author in the article points out, the giallo often has important action ocurring in majestic or impressive historical locations - like at a famous museum or at a place like the Coliseum in Rome. But it seems that the cool pop culture factor would be right up his alley.

Anyhow, I may be waiting for a long time.

P.S. - I'm not advocating a re-make of any particular film. I don't want to be banned!

Worf101
01-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Musicals: Resurrected - unfortunately, Chicago and Moulin Rouge have proven there are still legs in this dead horse (didn't want to see either)

Westerns: On Life Support - What? Brokeback Mountain isn't a Western :p? Open Range was a great western, but based on the box office returns apparently I was the only one that thought so :(

Sword & Sorcery: The Current 1000 Gorilla - can you say Harry Potter? How 'bout Gandolf?

Detective Movies: Down with the Flu - there are detective movies every year (Freedomland) ...they just suck.

Sand & Sandles: Bloodied, but still swingin' - Too many half-a$$ed attempts (Troy, Alexander) riding the coattails of Gladiator still.

Disaster Flicks: You're kidding, right?

WWII Flicks: Dead and buried - Pearl Harbor effectively nailed the coffin closed. Now everything is Desert Storm (Jarhead)

Big Budget Sci-Fi: Hangin' with hotties on Broadway - King Kong may not have blasters, but he is definitely sci-fi. Besides, the winning lottery ticket otherwise known as merchandising will always keep some kind of sci-fi flick in the theater some time, some where.

"Harry Potter" is NOT Sword and Socery. "Chronicles of Narnia" The Ring Trilogy perhaps. But I was thinking more along the llines of Conan and Beastmaster not light in the loafters brats from Hogwarts.

"King Kong" is not a sci-fi flick either its a "big giant monster" flick a completely different genre. Now the Japanese might have mixed the two to disasterous results, ala "MechaGodzilla", but not a real comparison if you ask me. I'm talking blasters, death rays and Battle Cruisers son... not apes.

Da Worfster

GMichael
01-20-2006, 09:00 AM
"King Kong" is not a sci-fi flick either its a "big giant monster" flick a completely different genre. Now the Japanese might have mixed the two to disasterous results, ala "MechaGodzilla", but not a real comparison if you ask me. I'm talking blasters, death rays and Battle Cruisers son... not apes.

Da Worfster

Did you see Star Wars or Serenity this past summer?

Kam
01-20-2006, 09:28 AM
i voted for musicals, but it might be westerns that i'd change my vote to. keep flip-flopping between those two. that might be the genre that's really gone. i guess Open Range was the last pure western released? has there been another since then? they had a slew of crappy ones around that same time, i think, with some of the tv actors as jesse james or another brother western duo, i cant remember. BUT... i think it might make a resurgeance. i think its brad pitt that's going to be playing jesse james next (will check in a second).

but there are so many cross-genre movies now. like kill bill has western themes in it, as well as kung fu cinema. serenity has HEAVY western influences with its sci-fi background. even the original star wars had typical western showdown themes in it. i defn would like to see more detective/crime thriller movies and pure westerns as well. am really optimistic about the spy genre too with daniel craig as the new bond (filming has started!).

but i think the others are staples in the system that will always keep making the rounds. the disaster flick will be back next summer (poseidon), ww2 is now being visited by clint with Flags of our Fathers, sand and saddle flicks will be back after taking this summer off, but pure sword and sorcery might take a long hiatus after LOTR. that really might have saturated the market AND set too high a bar for others to want to venture in to. there will always be a bunch of cheesy sword and sorcery movies like anything based on a videogame, check out the trailer for In the Name of the King, although i consider that more of a video-game (crap) genre movie than a sword/sorcery flick. the talks of ressurecting conan i think are all dead.

but i think it might be a while before anyone tackles a musical again. they creep up here and there, but i think they should be left to small, irreverant montages in The Family Guy, not on the big screen.

ps. side note completely, but didnt want to start a new thread out of my laziness, but for spidey fans, Gwen Stacey will be in spidey 3, and played by bryce dallas howard (was the blind girl in The Village).

Worf101
01-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Did you see Star Wars or Serenity this past summer?

SW did great business for the first week or so then down hill. If Episode 3 was a stand alone I doubt anyone would've cared or watched it, it was that bad. Serenity was a great but no one went to see it. I restate by orginal contention your honor.... :D

Da Worfster