Latest Ebay Score.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Latest Ebay Score....

Worf101
01-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Anyone that knows me around here knows that I'm basically a nut for speakers from Newburyport Mass. Specifically the Epicure/EPI speakers of the '70's. I currently have the following

Epi; 50's , 201 and 202''s
Epicure 14's and 20+

Last week I scored the last link in my never ending chain of orphan obscure speaks, a pair of EPI 601's from the early '70's. For those that don't know thease 60' lbs behemouths were EPI's answer to all the 901's that Bose was selling. Cept instead of a billion little 2-inch drivers Burhoe went with his typical pod design of an 8" woof and an inverted dome tweet. These suckers carry two 8" woofers, one 6" driver and 3 tweeters. With this array don't expect them to sound like a 901, there will be plenty of hi's and low rumble on these sucka's.

Let's see if the pics work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/EPI600.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/EPI600a.jpg

All the 8" drivers have surround rot and I'll be having a reconning party next week. Now for the great part, I got these sucka's delivered for $!47.00 complete and 100 of that figure was for shipping. Every once in a while folks on the bay don't know what they're missing. I guess this was one of those times...

Da Worfster :D

kexodusc
01-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Sweet find, my friend...I like to browse ebay for long lost pieces of gear now and then myself. I tend pick up discarded 80's and 90's power amps and integradeds more than anything, because they're usually so simple to fix.
These sound like a real gem.

Some day, Worfster will have to invite us all to Worfster's Wild n' Wacky Woofer Museum to give us a tour of all the salvages and plunders he's claimed over the years....

Can't wait for the pics.

Bernd
01-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Don't know these, but congrats just the same. They certainly appear to have more about them then the Bose. Shows you the damage marketing does.Good luck with the restoration.

Peace

Bernd

kexodusc
01-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Oops..my apologies Worf, guess your pictures are working (I can see the link in the reply quote), but my office's firewall is filterin' them out...I'll have to look when I get home...

pelly3s
01-19-2006, 06:39 PM
well looks like you have a little project on your hands with those. i am always looking for interesting things on ebay for cheap. sometimes it works out good. i got 2 altec 1594 amps for $50 shipped to my door in good working order

Worf101
01-20-2006, 07:11 AM
well looks like you have a little project on your hands with those. i am always looking for interesting things on ebay for cheap. sometimes it works out good. i got 2 altec 1594 amps for $50 shipped to my door in good working order

That's some good cracker there. I'm itching to get my hands some old monoblocs for a dedicated 2 channeel hookup for the basement... Ahh man I love this stuff.

Da Worfster :cool:

SlumpBuster
01-20-2006, 10:38 AM
I only recently took the Ebay plunge. It has already served me well. There are a number of vintage sleepers out there that are often overlooked or at least under appreciated. I have my own favorite brands, but won't name them here. :D I don't want the competition. Okay, Akai, Luxman, Sansui, Technics and Pioneer, Yamaha. Alot of these brands went to **** in the late 80s, but up until then its all good. Of couse it has to be to good Japanese made stuff, not the Malaysian made stuff. If its Malaysian, you might as well buy new. I'm often surpised how good 40 to 30 year old stuff can sound and how well some people take care of their stuff over that time.

pelly3s
01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
i am looking for my next lucky find sooner or later it will come. i keep praying for it

bjornb17
01-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Looks like a fun project! I'm interested to see how it turns out.