Mirage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mirage

tem
01-19-2006, 06:08 AM
I am a newbie and seek your experts' views on speakers.

I went for audition the following components and speakers:

AYRE-CX 7 CD Player

AYRE K-5 Preamp

AYRE V-5X Power Amp

Martin Logan Summit Electrostatic Speakers

I did not find much improvement in terms of dynamics as compared to my present Mirage bookshelf speakers to justify me to spend on the new system.Maybe I am new to hear the difference.

What puzzle me when he associated that Mirage speakers with Bose and hope u guys able to share your views on this.

Tks

Mark111867
01-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I really can't comment on any of the gear that you auditioned. I can comment on Mirage, though. I have had a pair of Mirage M-290's since the mid 90's. They are a fine speaker. I'm not so sure that I would put Bose and Mirage in the same category. In my opinion, Mirage is a definite step up from Bose. As for not noticing an improvement in dynamics between the two speakers, well, this is clearly a personal preference. If you are happy with your Mirage speakers and don't think that the extra money spent is worth it, then stick with what you like. Are you able to audition your Mirage speakers with the gear that you are interested in? A side by side audition between the two speakers would give you a better idea of the differences between the speakers. Good luck.

Feanor
01-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I am a newbie and seek your experts' views on speakers.

I went for audition the following components and speakers:

AYRE-CX 7 CD Player

AYRE K-5 Preamp

AYRE V-5X Power Amp

Martin Logan Summit Electrostatic Speakers

I did not find much improvement in terms of dynamics as compared to my present Mirage bookshelf speakers to justify me to spend on the new system.Maybe I am new to hear the difference.

Tks
The components you auditioned are of superb quality and enjoy a high reputation -- if you can't hear worthwhile difference from your Mirage :eek: , save your money.

BTW, I suspect the Mirage are step up from the Bose, but for sure, the MLs are huge step up from both.

Eric Z
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
MIrage makes some nice speakers- definitely better than Bose!! The first speaker set-up I bought that was of higher quality than you basics was the Mirage FRX series. I like them a lot and still use them as my HT in my family room. MLs are a big step up, but IMO they are too expensive for what you get. They sound good, but the prices can be way up there. Stick with your Mirage for now and check out some other speakers in the mean time- see if you find anything you like better than you Mirage that will make you spend the extra cash.

Eric Z
01-19-2006, 10:29 AM
reason why the guy compared mirage to bose -- he's an idiot.

by any chance was the dealer you visited tweeter? if so, i've run into some very ignorant salespeople there- one guy told me to spend the extra money on a receiver to power my Mirage because it was 5 more watts- made me laugh when i knew the receiver i was looking at was more than enough power. he said, "i guarantee you won't be happy 1 year down the road with the receiver." year and a half later and i'm very happy. i should go back in and let him know :)

regardless, opinions by the sales staff is a crap shoot- some know their stuff and some think they know their stuff.

tem
01-19-2006, 04:45 PM
reason why the guy compared mirage to bose -- he's an idiot.

by any chance was the dealer you visited tweeter? if so, i've run into some very ignorant salespeople there- one guy told me to spend the extra money on a receiver to power my Mirage because it was 5 more watts- made me laugh when i knew the receiver i was looking at was more than enough power. he said, "i guarantee you won't be happy 1 year down the road with the receiver." year and a half later and i'm very happy. i should go back in and let him know :)

regardless, opinions by the sales staff is a crap shoot- some know their stuff and some think they know their stuff.

No it was not the same dealer. Anyway all the views are greatly appreciated and at least I can sleep well for a while.

Thanks all bros.....

The Grudge
01-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes I must agree, Mirage seem to have very nice speakers. Back in 1996 I purchased a pair of Mirage bookshelf speakers and I was always astounded at the quality of the sound and for a two way at that! I drove them very hard at times and they handled the work just fine. If your ears like what they hear then just relax and take your time. Perhaps in the future you will hear another speaker you like better. Why not audition some other Mirage speakers? If you like the sound characteristics of your current speakers you may find a great step up is by staying with the same manufacturer. Perhaps consider trying some floor standing 3 way speakers from Mirage.

:)

JSE
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a pair of Mirage Omni 60's that I have in a second system. Very nice speaker for the price. I have been nothing but happy with them. ML speakers are definitely a few steps up but they are much harder to drive and from what I remember are somewhat hard to position. More than likely they were not "setup" properly.

JSE

drseid
01-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Mirage makes quality speakers, IMO. The salesman who compared them to Bose has been drinking the Kool Aid (or more likely is trying to get a new sale by making you feel dirty owning such an "inferior" brand to what he wants you to buy). Probably a better comparison would be to a brand like Definitive Technology.

As for ML, I am definitely in the minority here, but I have never cared for their sound (although I love their high-end subs). I could see someone not jumping on the ML bandwagon quite easily.

If you are happy with the Mirage speakers, then enjoy them. Take your time and explore other brands to keep up on what is available, while exploring what kind of sound you like as you go... If you ever find a brand/model you like better at a price you feel is reasonable, you can always upgrade then... No need to rush things. Just enjoy the music on your Mirage's, and don't worry about what some bozo salesman says to try and make you feel bad about your speakers.

---Dave

tem
01-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Is very nice to hear positive comments about my Mirage speakers.

In fact I did consider OM-5 flagship series with Krell or Classe amp to match as recommend by Mirage forum moderator but I was embarrassed to mention that to the dealer as not to suggest I am a real green horn about music equipments.

What do u guys think about the amp and speakers compatiblity?

Thanks buddies for the nice comments.