newbie...help!!! (Polk RTi series???) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : newbie...help!!! (Polk RTi series???)

mrrev
01-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Well I've had a Kenwood 5.1 sound system for about 5-6 years now and am looking to upgrade since I recently purchased a nice plasma and after I was at a friend's house with a much nicer HT system. From what I remember he had Polk and his surround sounded much crisper.

After reading around in this forum, as well as some others I've decided on a Denon 3805 with the Polk RTi series fronts and center speaker. My question is, is there much of a difference between the RTi4 and RTi6 models. Same as for the Center. There is CSi3 and CSi5. I'm indecisive about spending the extra money. I will I hear much of a difference based on the money I'll be spending. Where I live I can't audition the speakers since no one carries them. Only thing here is a Circuit City (only carries Monitor series and Best Buy). Also any opinions on the FXi3 surrounds. One more, any opinions on the Polk sub. Looking at the 10" 200 watt. Should I be concidering another brand for the sub? I've been reading about the SVS....

hope I could get some responseds from people with more experinced ears. Thx...

natronforever
01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi. While I don't dare suggest what you should do, perhaps my viewpoint can help.
My speakers:
Mains - Polk RTi38 (predecessor to the RTi6)
Center - Polk CSi30 (predecessor to the CSi3)
Surrounds - Polk FXi30 (predecessor to the FXi3)
Sub - SVS PB10-isd

I have had my Polk speakers for a couple of years now. They have held up wonderfully, and I have never disliked listening to them. Nor have I ever regretted purchasing them. The reason I went with the RTi38 instead of the RTi25 (RTi6 instead of the RTi4) is because I very much enjoy 2 channel music in addition to surround sound movies. The RTi4 speakers will sound great for stereo applications, but they won't have the range of the RTi6. To go with the RTi4 is not very much to sacrifice sound quality, but to sacrifice low range extension, and even there the differences won't be enormous. As for the center channel, I went with the CSi30 instead of the CSi40 (CSi3 instead of the CSi5) because the latter was much too big. I'm still in college, and the CSi30 was plenty big as it was. Also, the price difference was significant. If your home theater room is large, then perhaps you should consider the CSi5. Otherwise, go with the CSi3. You'll not regret it. Regarding the surrounds, you'll enjoy the FXi3 bipole/dipole speakers. They will match well with the other speakers. My FXi30 speakers have turned many heads during movies, where people were startled by the sounds coming from behind them. Regarding the sub, you very much should consider SVS. I have their "entry level" sub, the PB10-isd. It's much bigger than the web site would lead you to believe. It's become something of the pride and joy of my system. To put it to you this way, I found out a couple of days ago that my neighbors living above me have taken the picture off their walls, because they're tired of them falling off when I watch a movie. I was a little embarrassed, as I always try to be a courteous neighbor, but I've been smiling inwardly about it ever since. Oh, and the thing isn't even turned up half way. Regarding Polk Audio subs, I've not been as impressed with them as I have wiith theiir loudspeakers. My SVS has more power and can play much, much lower than the Polk PSW 404 I believe you're looking at. If Polk gives you their tiny free sub when you make your purchase, take it, but know that for the money, SVS and perhaps other manufacturers (HSU, for example) will undoubtedly offer something better. It's not necessary to purchase a subwoofer from the same manufacturer as it is to match your loudspeakers. All the loudspeaker combinations you're considering will match well.

In summary, I wouldn't worry too much about choosing the smaller loudspeakers over the larger ones. If you can afford the larger mains and center, then buy them, otherwise, don't worry about it. The SVS PB10-isd is in the same price range as the PSW 404. If those are your options, do yourself a lasting favor and go with the SVS. Evaluate your listening space, and purchase what you feel will be the best option. Again, choosing the smaller drivers isn't really sacrificing any audio quality, but rather low end extension. A good sub will pick up the slack. If you have any other questions, add them to this post and I'll get back to you.

bjornb17
01-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Well I've had a Kenwood 5.1 sound system for about 5-6 years now and am looking to upgrade since I recently purchased a nice plasma and after I was at a friend's house with a much nicer HT system. From what I remember he had Polk and his surround sounded much crisper.

After reading around in this forum, as well as some others I've decided on a Denon 3805 with the Polk RTi series fronts and center speaker. My question is, is there much of a difference between the RTi4 and RTi6 models. Same as for the Center. There is CSi3 and CSi5. I'm indecisive about spending the extra money. I will I hear much of a difference based on the money I'll be spending. Where I live I can't audition the speakers since no one carries them. Only thing here is a Circuit City (only carries Monitor series and Best Buy). Also any opinions on the FXi3 surrounds. One more, any opinions on the Polk sub. Looking at the 10" 200 watt. Should I be concidering another brand for the sub? I've been reading about the SVS....

hope I could get some responseds from people with more experinced ears. Thx...

I think you should definately get the CSi5 over the CSi3. The center channel is the most important speaker and you definately should get the best you can. I can't really comment on the bookshelves since i haven't compared either directly. My guess is that the RTi4s would be sufficient though. Also, i think the SVS sub would be a definate improvement over the Polk sub.

natronforever
01-21-2006, 11:54 PM
On the center channel, keep in mind that most people set their center channel speaker to "small", with a crossover usually @ 100 hz or 80 hz. The CSi3 can comfortably play much lower than either of those settings, so low-end frequency response likely won't be important to you, especially with the addition of a good sub. I would only spend more for the CSi5 if your room is significantly large, or you have the cash to burn. Even then, the CSi3 will likely never be the "weak link" in your system.

E-Stat
01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
My question is, is there much of a difference between the RTi4 and RTi6 models.
My experience and HT gear is similar to Natronforever's. I purchased the larger RTi38 (RTi6 predecessor) over the smaller version to provide better mid bass reproduction. While the 38s respond down to 50 hz or so, I found the most linear arrangement in my environment was to cross them over to the subs at 100 hz. The 5.25" driver found in the RTi4s is really a midrange driver and not optimal for the mid/upper bass region. Getting that region right is critical for music to have a proper fundamental warmth to it. Then I use an EQ to fine tune the response of the subwoofers (I very much prefer a pair of subs for various reasons).

Same as for the Center.
Here I chose the smaller CSi3 version. The center channel is largely for dialog where bass response is less critical.

Short answer: go for the larger mains and the smaller center channel. Work eventually towards dual subs and consider EQ for them.

rw

natronforever
01-31-2006, 04:33 PM
So mrrev, which speakers have you chosen?

speakeroligist_38
02-01-2006, 07:31 AM
mrrev I am very familiar with the Rti6 and the Rti4. IMHO, I believe there is a significant difference between the Rti6 and thr Rti4. For starters the Rti6's image better and have a larger soundstage and by all accounts are more articulate. If I were you and you have decided on Polk I would use the Rti6's for my fronts and the Rti4's for my rears. I also would go with the Csi5 for the center. Personally, I am not a fan of diffused sound so the Fxi3's would serve no purpose for me. If you like diffused sound then I would get the Fxi3's instead of the Rti4's for my rears. I would also urge you to consider listening to the Paradigm Mini Monitors or the Monitor 3's. The all new version4's are improved and to me are better than the Polk Rti6/Rti4's. The cc-370 v.4 is much improved as well. To me the Rti6's sounded a bit brighter to me and both the mini monitor and the monitor 3's had better bass extension. As far as a sub goes be sure to check out SVS and Hsu which both offer much more bang for the buck with respect to subwoofers. Good luck in your descision.