Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures

Snowbunny
01-18-2006, 11:29 AM
My Sub Pop sugarpop, Sloshy, sent me a preview of this CD a while back and I'm just getting around to giving it some undivided attention.

Excellent album from start to finish, with the exception (IMO) of 10:1 when they get fuzzy and use a vocorder. I just find the song annoys me. (** Indicate my fave tracks, but they are all growers.)

1. Bird on a Wire **
2. Publish My Love - (Sounds a lot like Flaming Lips)
3. Salesman at the Day of the Parade
4. Catform
5. Love's Lost Guarantee
6. 10:1
7. California **
8. Are You on My Side **
9. Medicine Ball
10. You
11. Temporary

It has the indie-pop sound that I've come to expect from Sub Pop artists. My best guess for RIYL (recommended if you like) is Flaming Lips and Decemberists.

If you're interested in hearing samples check out their homepage here:

http://www.roguewavemusic.com/roguewave_home.html

or watch Craig Ferguson on January 19th to see them perform.

Thanks, Sloshy! You were right!

Snowie

Davey
01-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks, Sloshy! You were right!
Oh please, don't encourage him to prance around here in his prima donna dress again! I think I'm gonna be sick ...

:p

Snowbunny
01-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh please, don't encourage him to prance around here in his prima donna dress again! I think I'm gonna be sick ...

:p

Heheheh...come on, Davey! You gotta admit its a pretty good album. You gotta!

Hey, thanks for the sweet things you said over at the "other" place. It made me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

I was kind of enjoying Stinky Yech's attempt to be Rattlesnake Shake. I guess the "real" Yech must have told "rattlesnake" that he asked for a pair of black lace panties. I guess folks in small his town know him well enough that he has to order his cross-dressing dainties on-line.

Of course, now you know why I don't come out of lurker mode over there. ;)

Whatcha listening to? I've got the oft-praised The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin on at my desk right now.

Snowie

Davey
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Heheheh...come on, Davey! You gotta admit its a pretty good album. You gotta!
Yeah, it is good. I was actually a bit surprised how much I liked it because I was thinking it was gonna be more sugary sweet, but it does have a lot of that Shins/DCFC sound. For some reason though, I haven't been drawn in enough yet to keep listening, so don't have a very strong opinion on it yet. Will get back around to it soon ...

Of course, now you know why I don't come out of lurker mode over there. ;)
Well true, but most of us that browse obner occasionally probably know by now what your "other" moniker is ;)

Whatcha listening to?
Mostly the ladies in the adjacent cubicle right now. But this morning it was My Morning Jacket.

Snowbunny
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, it is good. I was actually a bit surprised how much I liked it because I was thinking it was gonna be more sugary sweet, but it does have a lot of that Shins/DCFC sound.

Shins, I can see, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the Death Cab For Cutie. Especially after seeing them on SNL last week. :)

Mostly the ladies in the adjacent cubicle right now. But this morning it was My Morning Jacket.

What are they saying? I love listening to other people's conversations! Transcribe as you listen!

Is that My Morning Jacket's new one? I've heard a lot of buzz about it but I can only think of EMO when I hear that band's name. Is it pretty slow-core?

Snowie

Davey
01-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Shins, I can see, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the Death Cab For Cutie. Especially after seeing them on SNL last week. :)
Why, don't you hear any similarity between the Shins and DCFC? What'd they do on SNL?

What are they saying? I love listening to other people's conversations! Transcribe as you listen!
I'm only catching bits and pieces, but best I can figure they're talking about the guy in the cubicle next to theirs, something about what an uptight jerk he is, and ... hey, wait, they're talking about me! Those ignorant sluts! I oughta ...

Is that My Morning Jacket's new one? I've heard a lot of buzz about it but I can only think of EMO when I hear that band's name. Is it pretty slow-core?
No slow core, no emo, just good ol classic rock. See Tuesday thread, but think electric Neil Young plugged in with the Who, but jamming with the Flaming Lips and/or Mercury Rev. Toss in some of Jeff Tweedy's gang and you're getting closer. Add some extra reverb to give it a more ethereal feel, a quick stir, and you're there.

But holy crap, tonight I'm exploring this new disc from David Sylvian, and "The Banality of Evil" is knocking me out. And then "Atom and Cell" is a knockout too. And they just keep coming. Very nice. Nine Horses. Snow Borne Sorrow. :)

Dusty Chalk
01-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Well true, but most of us that browse obner occasionally probably know by now what your "other" moniker is ;)We do?
But holy crap, tonight I'm exploring this new disc from David Sylvian, and "The Banality of Evil" is knocking me out. And then "Atom and Cell" is a knockout too. And they just keep coming. Very nice. Nine Horses. Snow Borne Sorrow. :)Awesome! But I reserve "The Banality of Evil" for some future BO2005 comp. I kind of figured you'd go for "The Librarian". (snicker)

Slosh
01-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh please, don't encourage him to prance around here in his prima donna dress again!
Hey, I already have a big head. Two, in fact. :D

I know I've asked this before but what's wrong with you Snowie :confused: ; 10:1 is a great song, chock full o' that 8 1/2 Minutes/I (heart) A Magician Dismemberment Plan type of goodness. I predict it'll grow on you. :)

Haven't been around in a while but it looks like I haven't missed much. Added a gig of memory to my PC, turned it on and my mobo and new memory stick went poof. :( Don't really know how as it only fits in one way. Weird. Well, it may have been a blessing in disguise (having to buy a new mobo, that is). I'm still runnig my old ATA133 RAID array but now I can augment that with a serial ATA RAID array with a couple of big hard drives and keep all of my most-often-listened-to songs in .wav format instead of .m4a. Plus with the old mobo I was limited to a 2.6 gHz P4 so I can upgrade that as well and do the hyper-threading thingie to boot.

I need me some new Grandaddy and soon. Listening to The Warming Sun right now. What a great song and well-recorded too.

Perhaps I'll check back in in a week or two. :)