Bookshelf speakers,what to buy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf speakers,what to buy

tullymars
01-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Now that I have a sub Im happy with,I think Im going to sell my towers and get a pair of bookshelf speakers.I want yals thoughts on what to buy,I will probably buy used,but lets say Im buying new and $1000 is my max,these will be used with my 10" onix sub,for MUSIC only.....powered by a carver amp and preamp,lots of power

bacchanal
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Von Schweikert Audio VR-1 is the speaker that immediately comes to mind for me. I've also heard the Monitor Audio GR-10s which are really nice. They retail for $1500, but you might be able to get a deal on them or find them used. You have many choices at your price point, so have fun listening to as many as you can. Of course I have to mention Paradigm Ref Studio series (20s or 40s depending on you size constraints and room size). They are a good value and are easy to find. I wouldn't say they're in same class as the VSAs or Monitors though.

drseid
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Definitely my vote at that price point new are the Opera Audio Consonnance Eric-1 mini-monitors at $995/pr.

---Dave

topspeed
01-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I'll second the VR1's, a monitor that when compared to others I heard under $2K was without peer in terms of musicality and dynamics. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good speakers at your price point, I just found the VSA's to stand head and shoulders above everything else I heard. Still, tastes vary, so make sure you audition everything you can find. Others worth considering would be the aforementioned MA's, Energy Veritas 2.2, Focal Chorus S 706 (could be wrong on the number), Paradigm Studio 20's, and Wharfedale Evo10.

Good luck in your search and enjoy the ride!

Geoffcin
01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Now that I have a sub Im happy with,I think Im going to sell my towers and get a pair of bookshelf speakers.I want yals thoughts on what to buy,I will probably buy used,but lets say Im buying new and $1000 is my max,these will be used with my 10" onix sub,for MUSIC only.....powered by a carver amp and preamp,lots of power

And what kind of amp are you using?

I'm partial to Totem Rainmakers at this price point, but if you've got a decent amp then Magnepan is a possibilty.

pelly3s
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
You should be able to pick up a nice pair of Tannoy's for that price.

fishnugget
01-19-2006, 02:29 AM

I'm partial to Totem Rainmakers at this price point, but if you've got a decent amp then Magnepan is a possibilty.

What do you like about these speakers. I am considering them for my family room?

Geoffcin
01-19-2006, 02:55 AM
What do you like about these speakers. I am considering them for my family room?

By family room you mean large? Totem Rainmakers would be great in a small to medium sized room. (12'X16') You will also need stands for these speakers. I don't own Rainmakers so I direct you to these reviews;

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/bookshelf-speakers/totem-acoustic/PRD_324845_4290crx.aspx

I DO own Magnepan speakers, although not specifically the model in your price range, which would be the MG 12. You will need a decent amp rated for 4 ohms with these. Magnepan speakers are planar. If you've never heard a planar speaker I suggest you at least demo one before you buy anything else. Here are some reviews of the MG 12;

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/magnepan/PRD_120037_1594crx.aspx

tullymars
01-19-2006, 04:28 AM

Carver TFM24,I love maggies,but they just are the right size,even mmg's.Bookshelf on stands will be a better option

Dharris
01-19-2006, 04:15 PM
If I remember correctly, I think you could buy Dynaudio Audience 42 for a grand.
These little babies will blow your mind away and put you in another world of listening enjoyment.

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/42/aud42.htm

Geoffcin
01-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Carver TFM24,I love maggies,but they just are the right size,even mmg's.Bookshelf on stands will be a better option

I like the Totem Rainmakers then. Really pleasing sound, great finish. Totem uses Dynaudio drivers.

Dharris
01-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Totem uses Dynaudio drivers.

Sweet! I almost bought Totems or Dyn's, but wentwith the MB Quart S Line instead.