I finally figured out which Frank Zappa disk to get [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I finally figured out which Frank Zappa disk to get

Hyfi
01-17-2006, 07:16 PM
After some posting a ways back about Zappa, I started wanting some. Growing up my older brother played some Zappa albums. Sometimes they were the silly, politically incorrect, potty mouth songs we all love. Some times, it was music! Jamming guitar slinging riffs with no vocals. I had no idea what albms they were at the time.

I have a few of the comedic disks like "We're Only In It For The Money" and "Live At The Filmore" among a few others. I knew there was more to Frank Zappa's anthology. Because he would not go commercial and put out some pretty whacky stuff over the years, he did not get the recognition he deserved for being one of the most inovative guitar players of his time through today.

I saw him the night after he did this Saturday Night Live
http://www.maniaman.com/videoclips.htm

A few weeks ago I found a Fusion Internet radio station. Thats about all I have listened to since. Every once in a while I refresh the playlist and realize I'm jammin' to Zappa. They have links to the musician and the song. With a little poking around I find a 2 disk remastered set called "Guitar". I recognize the album cover from my brothers collection.

Nothing but Frank Zappa playing his best music. He never played the same solos twice so I'm sure it was hard to pick the playlist. So, if anyone wants to hear Zappa PLAY instead of the silly stuff (which I do still laugh out loud at) I highly reomend this one. He also has a follow up 3 disk live set that is similar called "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar". I'm thinking that will be next.

Review after it gets here for those of us that remember the 70s.

Hyfi

GMichael
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes, I do remember some of Zappa's killer jams. A friend of mine used to love his stuff. I used to tell him, put that other band on." What other band he'd say. "You know, the one who jams." Same guy.
Shut Up And Play Your Guitar is killer.

Troy
01-18-2006, 05:47 PM
I prefer more song oriented albums like "Sheik Yerbouti" or "One Size Fits All", but that's the beauty of FZ. He has something to offer for everyone.

Try Lumpy Gravy and Orchestral Favorites. All instrumental there too.

Hyfi
01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I prefer more song oriented albums like "Sheik Yerbouti" or "One Size Fits All", but that's the beauty of FZ. He has something to offer for everyone.

Try Lumpy Gravy and Orchestral Favorites. All instrumental there too.

He sure does have many to choose from. I'm sure I would like plenty of them. I also have his last strange classical release "The Yellow Shark Ensemble".

The cool thing is that this 202.fm raio station plays cuts from Giutar & Shut Up... right after Liquid Tension Experiment. Now why does that name ring a bell? :D

Uncle Al
01-19-2006, 04:27 PM
If your looking for Zappa instrumentals - I might stay away from Lumpy Gravy.....

Try "Hot Rats". He ALMOST invents fusion here. There is only a single vocal, and it's Captain Beefhart singing Willie the Pimp (and that's only a few minutes of a rather extended track).

MasterCylinder
01-20-2006, 06:26 AM
I agree -- FZ has something for everyone.

If you want some purely innovative digital instrumental music, try JAZZ FROM HELL.
FZ has the synclavier perform this music; and it won a Grammy.
Warning : it is different. (ever heard a grand piano bend a note ?)

My fav is still THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE -- an equal mix of vocal, fun stupidity and instrumental (including a killer version of Ravel's BOLERO).

Troy
01-20-2006, 07:34 AM
If your looking for Zappa instrumentals - I might stay away from Lumpy Gravy.....

Try "Hot Rats". He ALMOST invents fusion here. There is only a single vocal, and it's Captain Beefhart singing Willie the Pimp (and that's only a few minutes of a rather extended track).

My bad. I MEANT Hot Rats . . .